            ****************
Hobbled C's breathe a few sighs of relief
by Steve Bulpett
Monday, October 23, 2000

ORLANDO - The Celtics were feeling fortunate yesterday - sore, but fortunate.
The injuries suffered in Saturday's 101-100 overtime win over the Wizards
don't appear to be serious, meaning they can enjoy their three-game preseason
win streak.

And they had some time to do so, with Rick Pitino giving the club its first
day off since camp opened on Oct. 3.

Paul Pierce (bruised sternum) and Eric Williams (bruised right knee) should
be fine, but the biggest sigh of relief came when an X-ray of Chris Herren's
left ankle revealed nothing major. Herren rolled the ankle and twisted his
knee after stepping on Antoine Walker's foot as he moved on defense.

``It's just a sprain,'' Herren said yesterday after returning from the exam.
``I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get back, but I don't plan on
it being that long. The problem is that sometimes ankles are a little tricky.
They can be tough to predict.''.......................