Re: Kenny Anderson

"Berry, Mark S" wrote:

> Someone on another board even mentioned that WEEI reported a rumored Kenny
> Anderson to Atlanta trade in exchange for either Lorenzen Wright or Alan
> Henderson. You wouldn't think a team would trade its starting point guard
> two weeks before the season starts, but if Pitino is that dissatisfied, I
> guess you never know. Certainly not the most reliable of sources, but the
> Hawks do seem like a likely trade partner. Anderson has a following there
> dating back to his Georgia Tech days, and the Hawks are looking for veteran
> point guard help because Jason Terry isn't progressing as quickly as they'd
> like. I don't think they're looking to add big, long-term contracts, but if
> they could get Lorenzen Wright's deal off the books, they might go for it.

I know I'm taking what is already an unreliable rumor and stretching it way out,
but if the Hawks are interested in giving Kenny Anderson a "homecoming", why not
get into the Dikimbe Mutombo sweepstakes? Potapenko or Battie plus Anderson, or
even all three, in exchange for Dikimbe and a balancing cap player (Matt
Maloney?) if needed. Maybe even swap draft picks back and forth, since Atlanta
is also a very likely lottery team.

(You are welcome to point out if my cap math is way off, which no doubt it is.)

Anyway, Atlanta can sell this to its "fans" as a deal that adds a veteran,
career 17 ppg point guard to a youthful, rebuilding lineup (DerMarr Johnson,
Hanno Motola, Jason Terry, Roshown Macleod, Lo Wright). Without Dikimbe's
value-added on defense, they are a lousy team on paper (Jim Jackson and Allan
Henderson are the other scorers). But at least they will finally put points on
the board (in theory), and besides they weren't going anywhere with Dikimbe
anyway.

Who do you want if you're Atlanta, shooting fool Glen Rice or local star Kenny
Anderson and a possible starting center replacement? Personally, I think the
Celtics could get into the running for Dikimbe if they choose. Don't
underestimate Dikimbe's value if he's on a team that already has two scorers
like Boston. He was first in the NBA in rebounding and second overall in blocks,
which is a nasty combination.

----