------

Moiso has visa, game in order
by Steve Bulpett
Friday, October 13, 2000

WORCESTER - Rick Pitino knew he had Jerome Moiso back. But the Celtics
coach isn't quite certain what he has in Moiso.

After a trip to Barbados to get his visa from Guadeloupe corrected, the
6-foot-11 forward went for nine points, eight rebounds and four blocks
in 24 minutes of the C's 100-80 loss to the Spurs last night. He had
been in the United States on a student visa, but he needed it changed to
a work visa.

What has been clear thus far is that the rookie has the physical
ability, but there is some question as to how Moiso's seemingly relaxed
attitude will translate to the intense world of the NBA.

``I don't quite get it,'' Pitino said, approaching the issue with humor.
``You know, Leo (Papile, the club's director of player personnel) said
to him, `You can be the best rookie in this league with your talent.'
And he said, `No, there are 10 better guys in front of me.'

``Then Leo says, `Why do you say that?' He went, `Because I was drafted
11.' I think he was breaking Leo's shoes when he said it.

``But then Leo said, `You're going to make this All-Rookie Game (at
All-Star Weekend),' and (Jerome) said, `No, I want to go home.'

``So I don't think he has a very large ego. I think he's probably quite
normal. . . . And I don't know if that's good or bad.''

Moiso was mostly good last night.

``He's a great shot-blocker,'' said the Spurs' Tim Duncan, who had 11
points and eight boards in 25 minutes. ``He's very long, very talented.
He shot the ball pretty well, too. That kind of surprised me. He'll be a
talent. He'll be around for a while.''

Said Moiso: ``I was just trying to get back into the flow. I did my
best. I've just got to learn things better and be able to make the plays
right away instead of having to think them through.''

Pitino again lauded his skills.

``He's a very gifted young man,'' the coach said. ``As far as physical
talent, he's as good as it gets. The problem is, he has not learned that
much defensively in terms of professional defense. He's not someone
who's going to stop his man from catching the ball in the low post yet.
He's not someone who's physically going to clear people out. Those are
the things he has to learn to play at this level, and he'll learn them.
It's just going to take some time.''