Re: First Ex. Game Thoughts

    FWIW, you obviously can't evaluate a team by its play on the losing
end of a 30-point blowout. Things just break down. I remember the Celts
coming back from some embarrassing facials in 1984 (remember Brent
Musburgers' "Lakers Dynasty" talk) to start winning by low double figures
and take the series against La La Land. Similarly, we blew out the
Flakers by 40 in 1985 (when Scott Wedman pitched a perfect game, 11-11 I
think) only to lose that series (I know injuries and Maxwell's MIA played
a role though).

    If the Celts have any heart and ability, this will be a wakeup game
to start playing as a team. This game reminds me of the 1997-98 preseason
and early season, when we couldn't do anything right in the new system
and with limited personnel. People may forget how utterly bleak and
hopeless things looked early in that season, and what in retrospect was a
really impressive underdog run we made to climb up around .500 by the New
Year. We may have all taken this for granted, because we felt that Pitino
would easily get the team quickly up to .500 at a minimum (BTW, maybe the
principle reason Walker made the All Star team over Webber was that the
team Toine was carrying was on a winning trend). Of course the chicken
outbreak withered and burned out over the final third of that season,
while our opponents kept getting better as teams, and so we played really
disappointing 2nd half basketball even with Kenny Anderson's arrival.
Same pattern the last two seasons, with last Spring (against an easy 2nd
half schedule, just 1 game out of the playoffs in March, everyone finally
healthy, and with Walker playing by far the best and most unselfish ball
of his career) being by FAR the most disappointing/deflating moment of
the Pitino era/experiment.

    The Celtics team of that year was also by far the best conditioned
team in camp we've ever had, yet still somehow Poultrino insists that
better conditioning will somehow make the system finally work this time
around. The only source of hope is that maybe the curfew will have an
impact (in other words, maybe the young Celtics gave up on conditioning
as the season progressed in each of the past three years). I don't know.
I'm hoping so.

    Another point. If it is taking this long for the in-camp Celtics to
execute the defense they've been focusing on, then I'm worried that
Herren and Stith will be too far behind to get into the rotation this
year. Last year, Fortson missed the last 1/3rd of the preseason and
dropped permanently out of the picture, after getting double figure
boards in both exhibition games  he played in and earning tons of praise
from Spintino. Right now it looks like Stith might be the guy who comes
up with a phantom injury.

    Thanks for the game summaries Alex and Bill Bird.  I'm obviously far
afield from the real action, so take any pessimism I write with a grain
of salt. Pitino's a winner. The system can work with better conditioning.
North Korea has a self-sufficient  model agrarian economy....etc.

    As far as forming an opinion, all that we can go on right now is how
the final rotation (sans Pierce) looks over the last four preseason
games. The Celts need to get off to a very fast start against a weak
schedule in order to break through the brick wall of the February/March
slump we've experienced in the past. My general view right now is that
they need to win slightly over 20 games by the All Star break (with
Walker present by default because of the lack of Eastern power forwards)
just to match the 36-win total of Pitino's best and first year. But game
by game, I think we will match up very well in power forward depth and
athleticism against the majority of opponents, and I just wish Pitino
were a coach that demanded more efficient and constant lowpost offense
rather than perimeter chuck&duck.

Joe

----