Pierce Interview with the Globe

Still as gripping a story as ever. I wish I could be there in the crowd
giving him applause the first time he steps back out on the court.

-------

Pierce has his say
Stabbed Celtic reflects on what happened - and what happens now
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/11/2000

WALTHAM - Before Paul Pierce spoke a word yesterday, he sent a clear
message.

Written in bold black letters across the front of his cap was a new
personal motto: ''Only the strong survive.''

Pierce had the cap made shortly after his release from New England
Medical Center, where he was treated for multiple stab wounds stemming
from an attack at the nearby Buzz Club early on the morning of Sept. 25.

As Pierce continues to come back from his injuries and turn tragedy into
a source of strength, he repeats his survivor's mantra and finds escape
in basketball. For the first time since he was released from the
hospital Sept. 28, Pierce spoke to the media yesterday about his ongoing
recovery.

In an interview with the Globe last night, Pierce said: ''When I'm
around the guys and I'm on the basketball court, I have a peace of mind
about it. I guess when I'm at home and I'm just sitting there watching
TV, I think, `Why me?' I can't answer that question. It's tough.

''You think about it at times, but then you try to block it out as much
as possible. You try to move on because if I let things like that affect
me, I think it can carry over into what I want to accomplish in
basketball.

''I think maybe there will be a part of this where it may never go away,
but I don't think it will ever affect me. When I take off my shirt, I
see the wounds; they'll still be there, the scars. In the back of my
head, I think it will always be with me.

''Maybe when my kids come, I can tell them the story. I'll tell them,
`Your dad's strong and he made it through all this, so you've got to be
strong.'''

Entering his third professional season with the Celtics, Pierce had
planned to take his game to new heights and unveil new moves. The plans
have not changed, though they may be slightly delayed. But with regular
workouts on the treadmill, participation in shooting drills, and a
return to practice possibly Friday, Pierce may be back for opening night
Nov. 1.

''We're going to take it slow,'' said Pierce. ''There's no saying I'll
be there or I won't be there. Right now, I can go either way, depending
on how the coach feels, how confident he is, and how practice feels.''

The physical part of Pierce's recovery has progressed with astonishing
speed. The swingman, who ranked second in the NBA in steals (2.08) and
second on the Celtics in scoring (19.5) last season, said, ''A lot of
things are coming back slowly but surely.''

When Pierce started moving around, the most troublesome pain was in his
chest. He pointed to the area beneath his ribs on the left side when
asked what ached most, noting it was where the deepest cut occurred.
Pierce says he does not experience pain when he runs or jumps.

Pierce's attackers hit him over the head with a bottle, opening cuts
above his right eye that yesterday were shaded by the brim of his cap.
Pierce was knocked to the floor and stabbed in the face, neck, and back.
One cut penetrated his abdomen, diaphragm, and lung.

According to Pierce, things happened so fast they remain a blur more
than two weeks later.

Workouts with the team will be an important indicator of how much longer
the recuperation will take. Pierce has not decided whether he will wear
a chest protector, waiting until he practices to determine how conscious
he will be of contact.

''My main focus is playing ball,'' he said during a group session with
reporters in the afternoon. ''I'm so anxious to get back out there and
getting on my uniform every day. I know this team really needs me, but
I'm not going to force myself back any faster than I have to. I know I'm
going to be there when the time is necessary for me to be there. I'll be
back. I won't know how I'm going to react on court until I get into
practice and I take a couple of bangs from the guys. But before I go out
in the game I've got to test it in practice.''

The toughest part of Pierce's recovery may be psychological. Although he
has only vague recollections of what happened at the Buzz Club, the
initial scene at the hospital and the scars stay with him. Pierce
remembers getting out of the car at the hospital with blood streaming
down his face and chest. An emergency room attendant helped him into a
wheelchair. ''If I had stood around another 10 minutes, I probably would
have passed out,'' he said. He remembers his older brother, Steve Hosey,
crying and telling him not to worry.

''To tell you the truth, from the time I walked in I never felt my life
was on the line, even though they were pretty bad injuries,'' said
Pierce. ''I didn't realize the severity of it. It wasn't until after the
surgery that the doctors told me what had happened and what I'd gone
through. I'm very lucky to be here today.

''It's just a natural response to be scared when you're going through
some of things that I went through. I think I have to attribute a lot of
[the quick recovery] to the man above. He really looked out for me. The
wounds that hit me could have easily been one inch to the left or one
inch to the right and I probably wouldn't be here today.''

Pierce believes he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But
precautions are being taken to make sure it doesn't happen again. He
said it will be a while before he ventures out on the nightclub scene
again. And for now, two plainclothes Waltham policemen shadow Pierce. He
may consider long-term personal security measures in the near future.

''It's tough being in this situation,'' said Pierce. ''What I've learned
is you've got to watch your every move. We are in positions that we're a
target. People know who we are. We're ballplayers. You kind of stick out
like a sore thumb. You've got to prepare yourself for different
situations because there are jealous people. Right now, I'm just trying
to put it behind me and focus on basketball. That's my main focus.
That's what I came to Boston to do and that's what I want to do.''

This story ran on page F1 of the Boston Globe on 10/11/2000.
© Copyright 2000 Globe Newspaper Company.