Re: Mutombo?

----- Original Message ----- From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
> Mutombo for the Celtics' bad contracts? I'll bet Pete
> Babcock is still laughing. The thing that scares me about this is the
> "Celtic draft picks." Don't do anything with those picks, Rick. Mutombo
> isn't worth losing a shot (however unlikely) at an Eddy Curry, Tyson
> Chandler or Eddie Griffin. He isn't.

I just don't get it, Mark.  This deal seems to do exactly what you've been
pleading for.  Get some real talent, some defensive talent, and get it now.
Perhaps you are not as impatient as you sound.  It also does it without
giving up the real talent of the team.  As far as those draft picks go,
which one has any chance of being top three?  Denver's is protected (0%
chance), Utah would have to fall out of the playoffs AND win the lottery
(maybe 0.1% chance) and Boston (assuming they miss the playoffs) would also
need to get lucky ( maybe 2% chance)!  You don't pass up the right player
for those odds (note: odds are just examples for discussion purposes.
Please, no wagering).

I'm not saying I want to see a trade for Mutombo.  I don't think he'll even
be worth his salary, at this stage of his carreer.  I'm just trying to
figure out what kind of deal you're talking about when you say you want to
see some real talent brought in.  *Now*.  I have a feeling we might not be
that far apart on what we'd like to see happen, except you seem to think a
much more Celtic friendly deal is out there somewhere, waiting to happen.
What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Later,
Jim