BSG: Pitino Gone By Christmas

http://home.digitalcity.com/boston/sportsguy/main.dci?page=links

Will McDonough (11/22) -- The Shrill reports that Rick Pitino told his players after Monday night's game that he'll be leaving the team after the season. Obviously this isn't breaking news because we knew Coach P was gone after the season if they missed the playoffs -- which they will -- but it's still strange that he told the players he would be leaving (if that's true).

Here's the strange thing: During the second half of that Philly game, I was sitting there watching Pitino's demeanor as the Celts were getting their butts kicked; he seemed totally defeated, to the point that I mentioned it to my girlfriend and wondered aloud, "He looks like he's just given up on this team." It really WAS the worst loss they've taken in the Pitino Era -- not only were they so far out of Philly's league that it was embarrassing, it seemed like they were tuning him out on the court (especially Pierce, who makes faces when Pitino yells at him now). And when we walked home after the game, I actually turned on the radio to make sure Pitino hadn't resigned after the game. That's how bad it was.

My prediction: I think he'll resign within the next four weeks and Jim O'Brien will take over for the rest of the season. O'Brien has been doing much more game coaching on the sidelines this season (even making substitutions at certain points). He's also under contract for this season and next season. And the players like him. The Celts won't lose much because they're not listening to Pitino anymore -- if you watched the second half of that Philly game, you know what I mean. Anyway, I'll have more on this situation next week. Get ready for a delude of "GM Pitino sunk Coach Pitino" columns from the national media. They're coming...