Re: Random Conversations

> Perhaps you can provide some stats or remind of us
> some games where you remember Kenny putting up similiar
> statistics. He must be pretty Jekyl and Hide though since he average 14.0
> scoring last year and five assists.

Statistics mean nothing. At the end of the night you look at the final score. You
then look at your field goal percentages. Then you look at the assist numbers.
When Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce shot badly you have to look at the situations
that Kenny got them the ball in. How many times last season did people complain
about Antoine and Paul having to put up low-percentage shots at the buzzer. How
often did people complain that the shot clock was already half over before Kenny
initiated the offense? More than 75 percent of the losses from last season can be
contributed to the fact that Antoine and Paul were forced into forcing their
offense. That is not necessarily their own fault because they received the ball
in the right situation. It was no coincidence that the second that Chris Herren
came in Antoine shot well, Paul shot well and the role players produced (Bryant
Stith for example). You then take away that sort of ball movement and the team
automatically began to struggle - as Cornbread said it got to be very much like
we were watching a game from last years team especially in the way the ball was
moved.

That is why so many people were/are down on Kenny Anderson. He takes too long to
initiate the offense, so long infact that even when hes doing it, it completely
limited our offense down to Walker and Pierce. Any wonder that the second Herren
came in and the ball was moved quickly that other scorers contributed?

Look, Kenny is a nice player, but his faults are glaring weaknesses on this team
and unfortunately we dont have another ball handler capable enough of making up
for it. Thats why a point forward would help us immeasurably. It'd make up for
Kenny's and Chris' weaknesses when their not having a 'good' night out on the
floor.

> Actually, I dont think its the point guard at all.
>
> The Celtics lose simply when they shoot a very low
> percentage. Its not always the point guard's fault
> when Walker or Pierce shoots poorly. Sometimes ahem..
> its Walker's fault or its Pierce's fault for shooting
> poorly.

Why? When Walker and Paul miss a lot of their shots its when the clock is winding
down and they have to create for themselves. Yes, they can create for themselves,
but its highly difficult to give yourself a chance to create something (anything)
for yourself when the clock has wound itself down to under five or six seconds
and you have a player in your face.

> Sometimes the fact that players miss open shots contributes to a point guards
> low amount of assists. Its a team game, and in a bad loss there is usually
> more then one person at fault.

I'm not saying that there isn't more than Kenny Anderson - but you have to look
at how the ball is delivered to the player to see how the other player(s) at
fault play when in the opposite situation (quick passing game as opposed to
slow-down and work for one shot, hopefully a fairly high percentage shot).

> Let me present a different point of view...
> and I encourage you to think about it. Just maybe
> the Celtics are weak at Center, lack a legit power
> forward and its not the point guard who is at fault.

I do agree with you, but what we have is adequate. Sure, it could be improved,
but at what cost?

> Kenny Anderson is a extremely talented player.
> He is probably as talented then either Walker or Pierce,
> if not more so.

Definitely do not agree, but thats just my opinion. You're welcome to yours and
I'm glad you're sharing it.

> >From what I have seen he is one of the few players who will make a fan who
> actually played some ball just stare in delight. He can make pro players look
> very bad on occasion with an ankle
> breaking move. He might seem "lazy" but he is slick and fearless, and thats a
> nice asset on a young team.

I agree with that assessment, but we dont see enough of it in my opinion. The
Utah game testifys to that.

> He isn't the best point guard, but he stacks up quite
> well against some of the "good" point guards. He was much better then Tim
> Hardaway lasy year, for example.

Who wasn't better than Tim Hardaway? Timbug had a poor year due to injuries.

> Unless the Celts get a hold of Gary Payton or Jason Kidd
> I don't see alot of point guards significantly better then Kenny that will
> add alot of wins.

I'm not asking the Celtics to get another point guard. I'm asking the Celtics to
get a versatile forward who can carry the ball handling duties when the Celtics
are getting poor playmaking. My perfect player for this team would be Miami's
Anthony Mason. Someone who can score, rebound, play defense and the key aspect of
all is that he can create.

> A great center..or a very good true power forward though that could Add 10-20
> wins to a team capable of winning 40 with their current roster.

There is absolutely no denying that, but that is a player that we are NOT going
to acquire. Unless we miss the playoffs, luck out and get a top pick in the draft
and the opposition teams picking higher than us take the player who turns out to
be the least valuable player and gives us the golden player like when we got Paul
Pierce. Those of you waiting to get a great center or a power forward can stop
hallucinating right now. Besides, I'm happy with Antoine at power forward. It
limits our options to a center and its just not going to happen. Thats why I
suggest Battie and Potapenko are what they are and thats adequate. Compared to
the rest of the league they are adequate enough to get by with if we have four
positions filled with two stars, a solid point guard and another player who does
the little things and helps out the point guard when hes having a poor night.

> That fact that Herren can play is good news
> for the Celts.  But I wouldnt expect many more
> wins, cause Kenny can play too.

Yes, Kenny can play. I just dont think it will be for this organisation. Put him
in a different team, a team which is best suited for his style of playmaking and
he'd do a lot better, infact he would probably get back to the top ten. He is
just the wrong style of playmaker for this team which means that in this system
he cannot play.

Thanks for the different view- its always appreciated.

Warwick