``I figured we'd see Kenny (Anderson) back before Randy.''

Note the slam by Pitino in the body of the text.
JB
            *************
    11/18/00 8:38 am Herren has a hand
Celtics Notebook/by Mark Cofman
Saturday, November 18, 2000
Celtics coach Rick Pitino likes to joke about Chris Herren's penchant for
getting injured. But Herren's sprained right shoulder would not have been a
laughing matter had the second-year point guard been forced to miss last
night's game against the Atlanta Hawks at the FleetCenter.
Fortunately for Pitino, Herren pronounced himself fit to play after the
Celtics' morning shootaround, then proceeded to collect a career-high nine
assists without a turnover in his team's 106-99 victory over the Hawks.
``He's my type of guy,'' said Pitino, who acquired Herren from Denver with
Bryant Stith on Oct. 16. ``I love him. He's hard-working, and he has a
passion for the game.
``Considering he missed the first 18 days of training camp, and he's lost so
much weight, I can't say enough about him. He's a remarkable young man, but I
don't want to get too carried away. I'll leave that to (TV broadcaster) Tommy
Heinsohn.''
Herren had injured the shoulder during practice on Thursday and admitted to
being at less than 100 percent efficiency.
``The range (of motion) in my shoulder is not fully there, but I feel good
enough to play,'' Herren said before the game. ``You're going to have your
share of bumps and bruises over the course of a season.''
Pitino has one suggestion that could help Herren avoid some of those physical
setbacks.
``I told him to stop hitting the deck on drives,'' said Pitino. ``He's like
Derek Anderson that way. To prove to the official that he's been fouled, he
falls to the floor. You can easily get hurt that way. And we can't afford any
more injuries, especially at that position.''
Pitino's reference was to the Celtics' depleted point-guard corps, with Kenny
Anderson (fractured jaw) and Randy Brown (pulled groin muscle) on the injured
list and Rick Brunson still nursing a sore hamstring.
Pitino appeared surprised when he was told Brown was aiming for a return to
action following Monday night's game against Philadelphia, at which time he's
eligible to come off the IL. ``I hope he's right, but it doesn't seem like
he's getting any better,'' said Pitino. ``I figured we'd see Kenny (Anderson)
back before Randy.''
Pitino understands
Pitino can relate to the difficult tasks ahead of Atlanta's Lon Kruger and
Washington's Leonard Hamilton, a pair of first-year NBA coaches taking over
rebuilding teams. Pitino caught up with Hamilton on Wednesday at the
FleetCenter, and saw Kruger last night.
``If you're going to make the jump from college to pro coaching, in most
cases you better have patience or learn to have it,'' said Pitino, who left
perennial power Kentucky to take over the Celtics in May 1997. ``Generally,
the (NBA) jobs available to college coaches are the ones that have
considerable rebuilding ahead, and probably major salary-cap problems facing
them.''
Celtics look for magic
When the Celtics face the Wizards tonight at MCI Center in Washington,
they'll be trying to exorcise a demon. They are a meager 0-3 on the road this
season.

  Copyright by the Boston Herald and Herald Interactive Advertising Systems,
Inc. No portion of BostonHerald.com or its content may be reproduced without
the owner's written permission.