Fw: my take on the Knicks game

----- Original Message -----
From: Joshua Ozersky
To: celtics@igloo.igtc.com
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 2:52 AM
Subject: my take on the Knicks game

I wasn't as upset at this loss as some of you.  I saw a very well played game,
by both teams, each of whom was missing a key scorer.  The Celtics lost because
the Knicks are an experienced team on both ends of the floor, and because it's very
hard to win when there is no offensive talent out there.  I wondered why Carr and Moiso
didn't play more, but I guess the answer is obvious:  we needed a solid defensive team,
and we pretty much got it.  Had Allan Houston not been so unconscious, we might have
had a better chance.

That having been said, we did give up big plays in the latter stages of the game; Antoine
and Paul both goofed up in the face of the superb veteran Knicks D at the end; and we
played the game too much from the perimeter.

But with that having been said, we took a very good team to overtime, in a game that both
teams were playing very hard to win.   No one has any doubt that the Knicks are a playoff
team; and we played them to a standstill.  It doesn't help our record much, but it is a very
encouraging sign.

FWIW, I do appreciate Kenny Anderson's scoring, which would have made a difference in a game
like this.  The point guard has to be able to score or he can't function.  Let's see what Herren does
for us tomorrow (although the Mario Lanza/Walter Hudson diet Pitino has had him on may kill him
deader than dillinger in terms of his wind.)  We'll need him either way, since it looks like Randy Brown
restrained his groin.

Eric Williams has regressed as a basketball player.  He's a role player much like Chris Carr at this point.
I think we need to get ourselves an impact scorer at some point this season; we can't count on Antoine
and Paul carrying us anymore.  And Kenny can't function as a primary scorer if we are going to be an
effective offensive team.  I'm surprised that Stith/Griffin didn't give us more points.  Those guys are definitely
offensively competent.

Anyway, I won't complain if this is the way the Celtics play this year.  It's definitely good enough to beat the
lousier teams.  Now if only they could play with this kind of discipline and effort against them....

Josh