Fortson

Hey there..

This is my first contribution to this list...if I am mailing it to the right
place.

Anyway the problem with Fortson is quite simple.
Shot Blocking.

Fortson is only 6'8 or so...but with short arms and doesnt jump well.
His large size makes him only suitable for Power Forward or Center.
So despite his gaudy numbers he is a huge defensive liability.

He is a great rebounder and decent scorer. If you combined him with a great
shot blocker he might work out fine. But on the Celtics he was paired up with
Walker,
Potapenko (sp?) up front.

Statistically this would seem like a great rebounding line up...
but they are so grounded that its a green light for the enemy to score easy
baskets at will. When NBA level players are playing against a lineup without
a legit shot blocker they create absolute havoc.

Its not so much the actual block shots..its the threat of blocked shots thats
important. Pitino is of course a super intelligent basketball guy and shipped
him out.

Unfortunately the Celtics are still missing that kind of player....
The Celtics really arent bad at all. They are just one superstar away from an
NBA title..hehe.

Stick Shaquille, Alonzo, Duncan or Robinson in the middle and the Celtics
would
be very very good.

It amazes me that folks like to blame the folks like Kenny  on the Celtics
problems.
Yawn.  You honestly think that if Kenny was on the Lakers they would have lost
the championship? Or that if Kenny was on the Knicks they would have made
it to the finals that year?

The problem isnt Kenny...its that the Celtics don't have enough talented size.
Walker is about the only talented big guy...and he isnt a great shot blocker.

Pitino is right on the mark when he whines about Duncan.

Pete