Re: Various (was Re: Pryzilla)

--- "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG> wrote:

<snip>
> That's why I'm so concerned about the future of this
> team. It's going to take a bold move to improve next year, and taking
> Morris Peterson, Jerome Moiso or some high schooler at the 11th pick
isn't
> going to do it. If the Celts are to get better, they will have to move
up
> in the draft or trade for an upgrade in personnel.

If we can get a top 5 pick from trading anyone except AW/PP/AG/VP/DF
(take Battie/Anderson please!), then do it.

I think there is no need to move up in this draft becos only Martin/Mihm
(maybe Fizer/swift) are ready to contribute, the rest of the early
entries will only be productive (and that's a big if they will pan out)
3-4 years down the road.

In fact, we should stand pat at 11 or do some smokescreen . Like
pretending to really want the Greek, maybe Nelson will fall in luv with
him too -he loves foreigners - and we could do a similar picks switch
years back on Montross+No.9(samaki walker)=AW+No.6(mercer). Our
no.11+our 2001 no.1 for Dallas no.12 + dallas no.1 2001 ? we may get
lucky.

I think we would be able to get our backup PG when we draft 39 in the
2nd rd (Pepe Sanchez, Jason Hart?)

>That Walker-for-Iverson rumor is interesting, but
> it would be even moreso if we switched Pierce for
> Walker. In Iverson and Walker, you'd have two fierce competitors. We'd

> still need to improve up front, however.

Ivy should never wear a Celtic uniform. The tattoos would be out of
place.

> Finally, it sounds like a few teams are willing to
> all but give away some first-round draft picks. Orlando is planning to

> trade two away without taking on salary (picks 10&13 for the rights to

> Pervis and Minor, whose contracts are up?)

why should they do this after blowing up the team for picks and now they
want to "throw away" the picks? I don't buy it.

Would Milwaukee entertain a
> Battie-for-15 swap?
I would do a Erving Johnson+2001 no.1 for Battie+2 no.2

> Also, it seems like Stromile Swift is a perfect fit
> in Vancouver, but if we
> offered Vitaly, 11 and a future pick, and agreed to
> take on Big Country,
> would they bite? The bait would be our willingness
> to get them out from
> under Country's ugly contract.

I think we are giving way too much. Big C's contract will  probably kill
our cap, and there will be no more "franchise" money left for Pierce.
Gaston will not pay 3 guys 80mill/7 years contract. I think max is 2
players.

kevin