Re: Draft

In a message dated 5/20/00 9:11:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, awang@mit.edu
writes:

<< Evidently last year the Celtics would have taken Shawn Marion with their
 pick.  So it seems the types of players coveted in the past have been
 ultra-athletic types (Marion, Clark, McGrady), an obscure European talent
 (Nowitzki), and a big point guard (Billups). It seems that this draft
 is short on top point guards so I would guess some sort of ultra-athlete.
 I don't think that the Celtics will limit themselves by position. With
 the disclaimer that I know nothing about college personnel and am just
 going off Chris Monter's comments at NBAtalk, I would say that Oyedeji
 sounds intriguing as an ultra-athletic 19 year old with a "big upside".
 He's my guess because Wallace hasn't mentioned him. And this time Don
 Nelson is drafting behind us =).

 3. Referring to BSG's comment about Wallace coveting McGrady in the 97
 draft, Pitino has previously mentioned that the only time he used his
 position to overall the consensus of his staff was the drafting of
 Mercer. Looking back, of course, it's a huge, huge mistake. Pitino
 would have a lot fewer complaints about the athleticism of his team
 with McGrady around. >>

Looking at both of these remarks (ultra-athlete, high schooler), do you think
Wallace and gang would take a huge risk with taking Deshawn Stevenson if we
stay at 11?  He should definitely be around unless he has a good showing at a
draft camp.  Most mocks have him late first or early second round.  Deshawn
is a mega-athletic with tremendous hops (won McDonald's dunk contest), can
play at either guard position, has a good handle, and good three point stroke.

- thndr