IBL ANNOUNCES DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

IBL ANNOUNCES DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Samake Stands Tall on Defense
May 11, 2000 - BALTIMORE, Md. -- The International Basketball League
(IBL) announced today that Cincinnati
 Stuff center
Soumaila Samake has been named the Defensive Player of the Year for the
League’s 1999-2000 inaugural season.
"Samake is one of those players that can change the complexion of a game
because of what he can do at the defensive end of the floor," said IBL
Vice President of Basketball Operations George Blaney. "He’s an
athletically gifted player who has taken advantage of a good coaching
staff and a 64-game season to work on his game. Because of his
improvement and the fact that he’s 7-2 he has had a lot of interest from
the NBA scouts over the course of the season who feel he may have worked
his way into being a first round selection in this year’s NBA Draft."
Samake, the IBL’s 1999-2000 season blocked shots leader (162, 2.7 bpg)
is finishing his first season in the United States. In 60 games for the
Stuff, 31 starts at center, Samake was first on the team in blocked
shots and field goal percentage (235/413, 56.9%), second on the team
with 458 rebounds (7.6 rpg) and sixth in scoring with a 9.7 ppg scoring
average.
"It is an honor to win this award knowing their are so many talented
players in the IBL," said Samake. "I take pride in my shot blocking
ability and work very hard at my defense. I am very proud."
Samake established the IBL record for blocked shots for a season as well
as blocked shots in a game when he swatted away eight shots in a
Cincinnati 92-85 victory over Baltimore on March 21. As a team,
Cincinnati was one of only two teams to hold opponents under 100 points
a game at 94.4 ppg.
Originally from the West African country of Mali, Samake was recruited
and offered a scholarship to attend the University of Wyoming. He turned
the scholarship offer down and played three years in a professional
league in Slovenia. Samake is one of two (DeeAndre Hulett of Las Vegas
is the other) IBL players who are eligible for this year’s NBA Draft.
Cincinnati drafted Samake as the fourth pick in the 12th round (92nd
overall) of the League’s inaugural draft last summer.
Cincinnati earned a first round bye in the IBL’s inaugural playoffs and
play Richmond in the Conference Championship series beginning tonight in
Richmond. The Stuff will host its first playoff game on Sunday, May 14
at the Firstar Center and again on Tuesday, May 16 if the best of three
series goes three games. The East Conference champion advances to play
either Las Vegas or St. Louis in the best-of-five League Championship
series beginning Thursday, May 18.
Experience the excitement of the IBL by visiting the League on the
Internet at www.iblhoops.com. For more information, please contact Mike
Hardisky at 410/625-8163 x241 (mhardisky@iblhoops.com).