Re: Vecsey Says Dikembe Will Be Traded

>From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
>
>Peter Vecsey
>NY Post - 5/12/00
>
>(Re: The Hawks)
>One hired nominee or the other, clearly management plans to complete the
>two-year renovation of its roster this summer. Already seven of the
>players who figure to return are 24 or younger.

I would think that the possibility that the Hawks would want to part with a
promising player with a longer contract (Lorenzen Wright) for someone who's
contract expires after next year (Dana) would be a lot more interesting than
Dikembe Mutumbo.  Why would we want to give up the few decent players we
currently have to get a guy who is not only 4 days older than I am, but even
in his prime, was not going to carry a team anywhere but an early exit in
the playoffs by himself?

One question, though.  If Atlanta is truly trying to follow the Chicago,
Orlando model and get as far under the cap as they can next year, why would
they be trading Mutumbo now?  They will have to take back significant
salary, some of which will almost certainly will be tied up for more than
one year.

Jim