Re: Dick Harter

Good idea. I'm also frankly surprised that Rick Carlisle isn't being talked
up around the league as a serious head coaching prospect. Fans forget just
how mediocre Jalen "La Vie en" Rose and Austin Croshere were in their early
years. During Jalen's first two full seasons with Indiana (already his third
and fourth year as an NBA pro) he averaged around 2.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists
and less than 8.5 ppg. Basically he didn't even have the trade value of
other young veterans like Rick Fox.

But now Jalen Rose is looking like the second coming of Reggie Lewis in the
playoffs! Bird turned out to be one of the great teachers, but I'm sure
Carlisle and Harter deserve a lot of credit as well. If they can turn
no-defense, benchwarmer stiff like Croshere into a dangerous player, imagine
what three years with Antoine and Potapenko would have done. It is no wonder
Bird reportedly coveted these players.