the Indy stuff

OK, I've been hoping for a Mark Jackson signing/trade for a while now, so I
was thrilled to read his name connected to the Celtics for the first time.
Is he the long-term answer? Obviously, no. He's 35 years old. But he doesn't
make his living running and jumping either. He's a big, strong, smart,
pass-first point guard who knows how to win. In other words, all the things
Kenny isn't. If you can sign Jackson and draft a Barkley or Dooling, maybe
you solve the point guard problem.

Now, I like Austin Croshere and think he probably deserves more
consideration for the sixth man award than he's receiving. He'd look great
in Boston. He's a high-energy rebounder and scorer who can play either
forward position in a pinch. He's not, and never will be, an all-star. He'd
be a good signing, though.

I absolutely believe these are two names the Celts will look at-but I don't
buy any of the Walker for Jackson-Croshere silliness. Walker is a 23 year
old multi-talented star. You don't trade those guys for an old point guard
and a nice role player. You think the Mercer-Fortson trade was bad? The only
upside to this trade would be improving our lottery position next year.

 The truth is Jackson probably will re-sign in Indy for the short-term and
end his career there and Croshere may be out of our price range. Of course,
if the big names eat up all the available cap space out there, guys like
Croshere may be left with only the veterans' exception. In that case, we'd
have to hope his Providence ties give the Celts an advantage.

The bottom line, however, is that we'd still be weak at the C and PF spots.
I'm not sure how we address that, but it may be by moving up in the draft.
If the Celts are sold on Swift/Martin/Mihm/Pryzbilla, maybe it would be
worth it to dangle a Walker or Pierce for a top-three pick. Then again,
maybe we'll just get lucky in the lottery... oh, who am I kidding?

Anyway, it's Monday, it's lunchtime and I'm bored...

Mark