Re: [Contracts]

It doesn't seem accurate that Eric Williams' contract expires after next
season.

Also, according to these numbers, Dana Barros is the third highest paid player
on the Celtics and Greg Minor is the fifth highest paid with a full season left
on their contracts. Thanks for that, Michael Leon Carr.

Overall the Celtics' salary structure seems surprisingly 'reasonable' (at least
to me) for a professional US sports franchise. The fact that Boston is around 8
million over the NBA salary cap and thus really have no prayer whatsoever of
signing any free agents this summer (Derek Anderson etc)  is largely a product
of the artificially low salary cap that Patrick Ewing and friends wasted
millions of dollars and many months negotiating.

Clubs like the Knicks or Portland must be at least 30 million over the cap. In
general, this seems more like the base salary structure in order to compete.

A lot of useful free agents --from Mercer to Fortson-- will either get a
jackpot offer or get barely over the absolute NBA minimum. In the end, so few
teams are in a position to even bid for their services (other than Orlando,
Chicago and a few others) so it is a buyers' market. Mercer needs to hope that
Jerry Kraus still loves him, because there may not be a "Plan B".

Unfortunately, the Celts also used up their two million exception already on
Duck Cheaney. But they can at least outbid teams to resign Danny Fortson for
cheap, since neither Chicago nor Orlando have any use for him.

Joe

****