Re: Fortson

Laurence Gordon wrote:

> Can someone explain to me why Fortson doesn't play more minutes?  Every
> time I read his stats he's played 11 minutes, got 10 rebounds and scored
> 8 points.  Why not play him more?  Why not keep him?  Why are we trying
> to get rid of him?
>
> Please explain this to me.  I am  out here in Los Angeles and don't get
> to see too many Celtics games.  What am I missing about Fortson's play.
> Is it attitude?  Is it fouls?  Is he hurt?
>
> Signed,
> A True Laker Hater

I don't think you want to open that rehashed can of worms. :-)  One thing I
did notice about Fortson's much-chastised propensity to foul (3.3 per game
in just 14.4 mpg) is that you rarely hear anyone complain about Tony
Battie's foul troubles (3.1 per game in 18.7 minutes per game). Battie
averages more fouls per game in fewer minutes than Vitaly Potapenko.

Not only does Fortson averages more rebounds than Bat Girl (6.3 versus 5.2)
but also more offense (6.8 ppg versus 6.5 ppg) and a significantly higher FG
and FT percentage.

Pitino sometimes behaves on the assumption that you foul out of NBA games
after only 4 fouls, or that every single foul gives opponents three
freethrows plus the ball.

Currently, the Celts have six players averaging between 3.0 and and 3.3
fouls including Vitaly and Fortson, both of whom generally get yanked
permanently on three fouls.

If Fortson increased his minutes by around 50% to a grand total of 22.8
minutes per game, he would actually AVERAGE a double double (on a per-minute
basis). He is just a great rebounder on both ends of the court. You'd think
that would count for something. It ought to.

Pitino-ball is basically an NBA affirmative action program for 6-11 skinny,
headless chicken dingbats like Bat Girl and Waltah. It must annoy Fortson to
see a guy he so completely dominated and made expendable in Denver ("El
Busto") get rewarded in Boston with the big money contract and playing time.
I'll be surprised if Pitino offers Fortson even half of what he gave Battie
last summer.

Joe