Re: wonderful run

Thomas Murphy said:
> I have to agree with recent comments made by Jim Mennino, to the effect that
> it has been a wonderful run lately (what has happened with Twon - he's been
> everything we've ever hoped for!) but I fear/dread that the hole is too
> deep. It's too bad, because I think exposure to the playoffs can really help

Excuse me?  Have you been watching the standings?
Orlando and Milwaukee have been falling like bricks.

The Celtics are now only half a game out!

> I've been busy lately, so I haven't had the leisure to scrutinize them as I
> would like, so are there any theories as to the turn-around? Obviously, the
> two biggest factors seem to be a radically improved defense and a much more
> mature Twon. But why? I welcome any and all comments - Thanks!

No answer on Twon, but the defensive scheme was changed.  Pitino decided
to simplify, and that has helped the team tremendously.  They've greatly
reduced the pressing and doubling/rotating.  They're concentrating on a
simpler man-to-man defense, with help/rotation only when a teammate gets
beat or is on the bad end of a big mismatch.  They seem to be talking a
lot more on defense.

As for Twon, again, no clue, but in my fantasies I like to believe that
something Tommy Heinsohn said made a difference.  Evidently a few games
ago Tommy showed Antoine a stat on the Celtics record when Antoine has
5 or more assists in the game, vs. when he has 4 or fewer.  The difference
was tremendous.  The Celtics had something close to a 2-to-1 ratio of wins
to losses when Antoine had at least 5 assists.  Tommy said that Antoine
seemed surprised by the stat.   Does anyone know the exact stat?

Jon Mc