Mercer news

Mercer suspended after fighting McCloud

  By Juliet MacUr Orlando Sentinel, 3/13/2000

       ORLANDO, Fla. - Even though Magic guard Ron Mercer didn't play
Saturday because of a
       sprained left ankle, he certainly saw plenty action at Orlando's arena.

  The former Celtic got into a fistfight with Denver Nuggets forward - and
former teammate - George
  McCloud after the game. Magic team trainer Tim Walsh treated Mercer for
minor injuries to his
  head, shoulder, and already injured ankle.

  The players each were suspended without pay for one game and fined $5,000
yesterday by Rod
  Thorn, the NBA's executive vice president for basketball operations.

  ''Ron went over there to say hello to a couple of friends and one of them
wanted to fight him,''
  Magic coach Doc Rivers said. ''He hit his head. It was just boys being
boys, but it's something I
  don't like. Denver seems to be OK with it.''

  People who witnessed the brouhaha said that Mercer was walking through
the arena and toward
  the Nuggets team bus when McCloud went after him. A scuffle ensued, and
that's when Mercer
  banged his head against a steel support beam.

  Mercer and McCloud had a tense relationship when Mercer played for the
Nuggets. Also, Mercer
  has said he is mad that Denver players have trash-talked about him since
he was traded Feb. 1.

  ''To hear them say that I was selfish or that I never wanted to be there
isn't professional,'' said
  Mercer, who sat out last night's game at New Jersey. ''And if you're
going to say something, don't
  say it after I'm gone. I sacrificed a lot for that team and to hear them
say that is just two-faced.''

  While Mercer watched Saturday's game from the sidelines, McCloud had one
of his best games of
  the year. He scored a season-high 25 points off the bench.

  This story ran on page D02 of the Boston Globe on 3/13/2000.