From: <opi@unesco.org>
To: "Trond Jacobsen" <tjacobsen@wpl-law.com>; <Celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: Shareef for Walker

> Personally I favor Shareef for Pierce (I imagine this is equally
unrealistic cap wise, but far more palatable for Vancouver management since
Pierce is quite fan-friendly).

> Now let's chat about a deadly SF/PF combo in Shareef and Walker....that's
the best forward combo on the East Coast, if not the planet. If Walker can
share shots and the spotlight with Pierce (of course he can), no doubt he
can do the same with Shareef.

> Shooting guards are the easiest commodity to replace in the NBA, when
compared to 6-11 small forwards with those skills. Griffin is already our
Mario Elie.

> "Rock the Casbah!"
>

> ****
>

> Trond Jacobsen wrote:
>
> > 1.  If this is for real, do it.  Even if we eat some losers contract for
a while.
> > 2.  No question: Shareef is a MUCH better player.  Examine stats
closely: more points, higher pct., higher 3pt pct, has an actual 3-body, not
just in his head like 'Toine, many more rebounds, more blocks (marginally),
more steals, awesome FT pct.  Better in every respect.
> > 3.  But as Red says, stats aren't the only thing.  And some list members
questions the Shareef "will to win" vis-a-vis 'Toine great attitude.
Several comments on this off-the-mark line of thinking.  First, is it
'Toine's great attitude that causes him to show up, and stay out of, shape?
> > Second, is it 'Toine's great attitude that prompts him to chuck up
threes with a god-awful pct?
> > Third, is it 'Toines winner attitude that causes him to make so many
stupid fouls and whining that prompts T's.  There is no more anti-team
mistake a player can make than to draw a T worrying about their image or
their blocked shot or some foul.  Suck it up, move on, let your play and not
your mouth talk.
> > Fourth, I am from the west coast originally (Oregon Duck) and saw him
play his one year for the Bears.  He is a fantastic player with a fantastic,
no-quit attitude, from what I saw then.  Have seen relatively little of his
pro career, but have been impressed by what I have seen.

> > 'Toine has incredible skills...but from what I see is worse than
Shareef.  They can both create, and while no Kobe, Shareef is a least as
good a defender on his fellow SF's as 'Toine is on other PF's

> > I doubt Shareef is mentally soft, as some fear...I know 'Toine has major
attitude problems (desire to win is not among them), including shooting when
he shouldn't and poo-poing off-season weight regimens and shooting
instruction

> > If the deal is there, take it in a heartbeat.
> >
> > Look at it this way: Is Shareef closer to the top of the heap at SF than
'Toine is among PF's?  There is no question in my mind on this score.  None.
There are many PF's I would rather have than 'Toine; there are very few SF I
would prefer to Shareef.

> > I like 'Toine and always have.  I would like Wallace/Pitino to think
long and hard about trading 'Toine.  For most players I hear coupled with
'Toine in a trade, I say no way...but for Shareef.  Absolutely

> > >From where I sit, the only downside is it locks PP into the 2 spot
(where he is good, and which does create height problems for others on
matchups) which drives PP, relatively speaking, to play to outside shooting,
at the expense of driving, rebounds, getting to foul line and passing (look
closely at PP stats since move to 2 from 3).  More shots.  More points.
Lower pct., fewer OR, fewer TR, fewer assists, etc.)  I think (hope) this is
only temporary, and that PP will truly emerge into a top-5 SG (a claim some
lunatic on this list made a few weeks ago)

> > Enough rambling: Shareef is much better in every respect than Antoine.
If its real, get him.