I give up

The thing that bothers me is that guys like Bentz and Mark Berry (don't
remember what Starke wrote recently) put a lot of thought and effort
into writing well-balanced critiques of Pitino - look back on Mark
Berry's "devastating Mercer trade" post, for instance. I believed that
the remarks directed at these guys, even figuratively, as a very negative
personal attack and I spoke up to defend them. It just seemed to me to
have nothing to do with anything they actually wrote, and seemed to be
a much harsher "figure of speech" than is warranted. That's all I have
to say on that topic.

I feel that Pitino gets a lot of criticism, that not all of it is
deserved, and I go to some effort to defend him when I feel it is
unfair. Honestly, I give up because it's a waste of time. People are
frustrated when the Celtics lose - believe me, I am - and that
emotional response is going to result in some unfair criticism.
I think that I've accepted that and no amount of defense is going
to change that. In my mind though, the venting is overwhelming the
other discussions on the list (along with the accusations of the
multiple identities of Way of the Ray). Unless you want company in
venting, these threads are useless. Pitino's either getting fired
or not, but nothing we say on this list has the slightest impact
on that, unless we believe that Gaston or someone else important
is actually reading it.

Anyway, unless the Celtics climb back into the playoff race, I don't
think things are going to be getting any more positive or interesting,
so I'm going to take a break from being active on this list and most
likely come back around the draft lottery. I appreciate any personal
correspondence about constructive changes in the Celtics, and I'll
post any interesting ideas I come up with.

Alex