Re: Lady and the Tramp

>From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@Dartmouth.EDU>
>
>At 12:04 3/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Why don't you name who you're actually talking about, because you >seem
>to be talking about list members?
>
>Sure:  Mark Berry, Bentz Kirby, Starke Farrell (who questioned the sanity
>of Pitino critics) and others whose names I don't remember now.  [However,
>read below]

Oops.  I guess you already did!

> > As far as I can tell, all the Pitino supporters that actively >post on
>this list don't view him as some sort of god. I'd like to >know who Pitino
>could supposedly spit on, or whether you're just >referring to some
>mythical "Pitinoite" that you're just making up >to be generally insulting.

>It's the averaged views of the people I named (and that generally belong to
>that group) - a prototype of sorts. In that abstracted prototype, whatever
>small qualms these individuals may have about Pitino dissipate, and what
>remains is staunch, unwavering support for Pitino that is not, as far as I
>can tell, affected by any counterfactual evidence - like Pitino's record
>with the Celtics.

Well, you can't do that.  You can't take an "averaged" view from several
people, remove the parts you actually agree with, and then say that none of
those people have a rational opinion.  Near as I can remember, all of those
people were responding to specific statments about Pitino that they thought
were unfair.  If you took that to be the entire spectrum of their opinion of
the man, that is your mistake.

>Do I believe that these  individuals actually think of Pitino as a God-like
>entity? Did I literally mean that he could spit on them and tell them it's
>raining, and they'd believe it? Of course not.

Are you the only one who shouldn't be taken literally, or do you think Bentz
really believes you are insane?

>These are averaged and figurative descriptions of the phenomenon based on
>the prototype Pitinoite. Let me repeat again at the risk of belaboring the
>point: it is neither the actual individuals, nor a "mythical Pitinoite that
>I'm just making up", that I'm referring to - it is the averaged, prototype
>views of actual Pitino supporters on this list ( If you've been exposed to
>neural network or categorization literature, you'd instantly know what I'm
>talking about).  If anyone else  took these comments literally, I'm sorry.
>But figuratively speaking, I still maintain that no matter to what depths
>Pitino takes this franchise, these people will probably always find a way
>to exonerate him and blame something or somebody else.

OK, that puts your view into it's proper perspective.  Something tells me
you wouldn't like the few token positive things you've said about Pitino to
be disregarded so that you could be fit into some prototype of the Pitino
basher.

Jim