Herald: Gee/Baker Carve Up Pitino

Lots of Pitino coverage at the Boston Herald....

      Rant merely a beginning to farewell speech
      by Michael Gee
      Friday, March 3, 2000
      Rick Pitino finally told the truth about the Celtics. Too bad he was three
      years too late. The things Pitino should've said his first day on the job
      were the heart of the coach's concession speech.
      Throw out the overwrought words about fan negativity and here's what
      Pitino said after Wednesday's loss to the Raptors: ``I give up.''
      He can and will deny it, but we may now regard Pitino as the Celtics' lame
      duck coach and president, marking time until he accepts yet another ``best
      job in the country'' at North Carolina, UCLA, Georgetown, or some other
      fallen college power.
      The pretense is over. The illusions are dead. Pitino isn't going to turn
      the Celtics into contenders this year, next year, or ever. He has run out
      of new beginnings. He has lost control of the audience he once mesmerized,
      because he didn't really understand them.
      And despite some extenuating circumstances, Pitino's failure is his own
      fault. The coach squandered the most precious item any rebuilding
      franchise has - time. Pitino created a revolution of rising expectations
      he never had a chance of meeting.
      Pitino oversold everything he's done to date. He's always been the
      optimist when Celtics fans needed to hear some vigorous and forthright
      pessimism. And that was never more true than on May 8, 1997, the day
      Pitino was hired.
      THAT'S when Pitino should've told fans, ``Kevin McHale isn't going to walk
      through that door. Larry Bird isn't going to walk through that door.
      Robert Parish isn't going to walk through that door.'' Not now, so very
      late to save the Pitino era.
      From the first, Pitino should have emphasized NBA reality. In a diluted,
      overexpanded league, rebuilding is a long and difficult process.
      Difference-making players are rare. Good as Allen Iverson and Vince Carter
      are, the Raptors and 76ers aren't contenders, they're only mediocre.
      The Celtics aren't even that. Under Pitino, Boston has progressed from
      totally horrid to merely weak. That isn't much progress. Pitino's erratic
      and contradictory personnel moves undercut any chance he had to employ his
      undeniable teaching skills on his young team.
      That flaw in Pitino's method, while serious, pales next to his biggest
      blunder. Until he finally snapped, the coach never stopped saying Celtic
      prosperity was just around the corner when it obviously wasn't. Pitino
      didn't understand how much fans wanted to believe his ludicrous spin.
      Celtics fans live in a fantasyland of banners, leprechauns, and denial.
      They overcommitted to Pitino because deep in their hearts, they saw him as
      the team's last chance to return to glory.
      That desperate faith and Pitino's perpetual optimism set up a vicious
      circle. Each time Pitino lurched in a different direction, fans cut him
      slack. The more slack Pitino was handed, the faster he knotted it into a
      noose around his neck.
      The longer the coaching honeymoon, the more hideous the break-up. With
      their illusions shattered, those increasingly few Bostonians who still
      care about the Celtics are more bitter than they should be. But Pitino
      shouldn't complain about that anger. He created it with constant happy
      talk about the Celts' unhappy situation.
      Pitino's a born salesman. It's part of the reason he's a good coach.
      But Pitino didn't realize salesmanship was the last thing Celtics fans
      needed. They do a fine job of conning themselves. Pitino should've been a
      psychic counterpoint to the fans' dreamy sense of entitlement.
      In anger and anguish at failure he can't spin, Pitino acknowledged
      reality. The Celts are young and ungifted, and there's little he can do
      about it.
      The Pitino Era is over. He won't suffer. There'll be a new Pitino Era
      somewhere else.
      It's the Celtics who are stuck with the wreckage of illusions. No more
      dreams, fans. Your team won't be a contender until a retired Vince Carter
      buys a piece of the franchise.

      Pitino's ire backfires: No sympathy for Rick, C's
      by Jim Baker
      Friday, March 3, 2000
      The storm of controversy that Rick Pitino set off after his Celtics'
      latest loss by beefing ``all this negativity that's in this town sucks''
      roared back at him full-force yesterday.
      Pitino blew his stack at the media and, more importantly, at hooting fans
      who pay grossly inflated prices to watch his fellow multimillionaires play
      poorly.
      Ch. 7's Gene Lavanchy exhaled a particularly strong retort: ``It's hard to
      feel sorry for multimillionaires. Those guys should be working their
      (butts) off. You could boo me all night for that kind of money, $85 for a
      courtside seat. I'd boo myself!''
      Lavanchy roared on: ``He (Pitino) can't talk about negativity. He's the
      one who created this mess. People want more for their money. They have a
      God-given right to be negative. They're paying through the nose and
      there's nobody you'd want to see.''
      Even Bob Lobel, who said Pitino refused to back off from his blast during
      yesterday's taping for his Sunday Ch. 4 show, broke from a broad
      perception that he's the $7 million coach's media defender.
      ``I think this will polarize people and I don't think he knows the impact
      of what he said,'' Lobel reacted. ``He asked me, `Was it really that bad?'
      I don't think he realizes how people are looking at him (as a
      conglomerate) and I don't think he cares.''
      Asked if Pitino is correct that too much negativity exists here, Lobel
      admitted he's ``turned off by pro sports. And not just that team, the
      whole league. I'd be hard-pressed to pay that kind of money, but I like to
      expose my children to the things I loved when growing up.''
      Ch. 5's Mike Lynch said it's not the same game. ``The whole NBA is a
      horrible league. The style is very selfish and reflects selfish
      personalities, especially here. Just watch the old Celtics on ESPN Classic
      and you see four or five passes after a rebound. Now one guy dribbles by
      himself, shoots and hopes it goes in.''
      And if it doesn't, he's still a multimillionaire. But Pitino would call
      that negativity.
      ``There's always been too much of it, but people are getting impatient,''
      Lynch said. ``Bill Parcells and Dan Duquette turned their teams around and
      they expected the same from Pitino. I think trust is a big word. People
      are waiting to see when he'll leave. They feel he's not one of us, that
      he's an outsider.''
      Lobel said Pitino would be better off if he did exit.
      Ch. 25's Butch Stearns was on the scene when Pitino went ballistic after
      Vince Carter's buzzer-beating 3-pointer made Toronto (tonight's FSNE foe
      at 7) a 96-94 winner. He said Pitino's ``eyes were welling up like he was
      about to cry.''
      ``It's obvious he hasn't lived up to the expectations he set - and it's a
      bunch of bull when he says he doesn't listen to sports radio. I think his
      players handle the negativity better than the coaches.
      ``People in New England grow up with an edge,'' Stearns said. ``I think
      that's good. It builds character. Better that than a stab in the back.
      It's a bad rap that people in this town are too negative. Pitino knows
      better.''
      Ch. 7's Gary Gillis added: ``He should be more concerned when they stop
      booing. This shows they care. Nobody's enjoying this. He's a proud man, he
      had expectations of turning things around and it's not happening.''
      In other words, Pitino isn't living the title of his book - ``Success Is a
      Choice'' - that he peddled along with his pasta, spaghetti sauce and
      $40,000 motivational speeches (which his player-millionaires turn off for
      free).
      Pitino's outburst brought clashes to shows on WEEI, the Celtic flagship
      that he rips for ``the fellowship of the miserable.''
      Lobel noted Ted Sarandis was ``thrilled'' that Pitino lashed out. A caller
      to the John Dennis-Gerry Callahan show claimed Pitino told his 9-year-old
      son to ``drop dead.'' Lobel said Pitino told him, ``That's an out-and-out
      lie!''
      But Eddie Andelman said, ``That kind of stuff (anonymous claims) shouldn't
      go out over the air . . . Sports radio is becoming a lynch mob, but not
      just here. I like Rick, but I think those two terrible losses got the
      better of him.''
      But Dale Arnold said Pitino ``has gotten off pretty easily here,'' far
      easier than fired Patriots coach Pete Carroll.
      Predictably, Glenn Ordway kept the negativity rolling.
      ``We're cynical,'' said Ordway. ``This is New England. Didn't he know what
      he was getting into when he accepted that $7 million-a-year contract three
      years ago? Did he think it was going to be Lexington, Ky? . . . I think it
      will get ugly and he'll be out of here. . . . Has anyone seen Jersey
Red?''
      And on the ``whiner line,'' an anonymous voice scolded Pitino: ``You ought
      to be horse-whipped and run out of town on a rail, you big loser!''
      Negativity?