Re: Sports (NBA) - Pitino gives Beantown an earful after loss - 3/2/00

It's simply not true that taking a timeout in this situation is the
"right" play. The idea of taking a timeout is to get to halfcourt
and to draw up a set play. You don't always want it at halfcourt
because it's harder to inbound from there; if you have plenty of
time then you'd generally rather take it the full length. Also you
can call a set play while the other team is shooting free throws
and not waste a timeout, which you may very well need with 33
seconds left. And the final point is, didn't it work? Didn't the
Celtics get a bucket?

It's really quite a stretch to say, "Pitino didn't call a timeout
in such and such situation" to "he can't coach or the team is tuning
him out." It's really a ridiculous, ignorant conclusion.

Alex