re: more strategy for the future

Some more good analysis from Alex. I agree with your break down off the
options, particularly the distinction between a Chicago style implosion
(where one truly begins from zero) and the rebuilding of the Suns (where
there may be a lot of pieces but they - for whatever reason - just don't
seem to fit together). I have to say that I credit Pitino with the lion's
share of the blame for why our pieces don't fit together better. You're
right to say that Kidd certainly seems like a better building block, but
that benefits from hindsight - could we say so at the time Phoenix obtained
Kidd? (actual question, not rhetorical). The weather in Phoenix is something
we obviously cannot match, hence the need to also get under the cap while
retaining the two players who have shown the greatest aptitude for
improvement (Pierce & Potapenko; I would also argue for Fortson, but that's
my opinion). I think the fans would support the team as long as the team
shows effort, is competitive most nights, shows gradual improvement, and has
a plan for the future. I think that's what most of us were responding to
during Pitino's first year (not his personality). I agree that a Chicago
style implosion, where we just got rid of everyone, would be just too
brutal.

Maybe if we actually saw progress, no matter how slight, we could persevere
under the Indy model. That was my belief before this week. Perhaps we could
do so with a new coach. I don't think we will be given the choice to
persevere if Rick sticks. He is giving every indication that IF the captain
is going to have to go down with the ship THEN he's going to toss everything
of future value overboard first. Who knows, maybe Pitino is trying to rattle
Gaston into paying him off before Pitino sells off the team's future. An
unlikely scenario I admit, but then why announce to the world your future
trade intentions?

Our owner has been willing to shell out some significant $$ but doesn't have
either the will or resources to follow the Portland/Knicks model. That
leaves us with the need for a bold/risky move at some point.  Pierce for
Kandi and Derek A. would certainly qualify. I have my doubts, but at least
such a move would be indicative of an understanding of our long-term
situation. Unfortunately, Rick has yet to demonstrate that he even grasps
our short-term situation.

On another thread: whether the players are tuning Pitino out. Perhaps they
are just taking their lead from the top. Didn't Pitino basically write last
year off because he had no training camp? Likewise this year Pitino seems to
have lost any real interest in coaching (but not yapping ;) - at least since
it became obvious that he won't be able to redeem his playoff pledge. He
seems to coach by numbers most nights, as if our real coach has been
replaced by a Disney automaton - not terribly inspirational. Sure, you can
blame the players if they begin to act as if they share his opinion. And of
course, this could be a chicken/egg sort of thing. But, after all is said
and done, isn't Pitino the coach? Isn't he supposed to be the mature one,
the one providing leadership?

-TomM