Good-bye draft picks - and future?

>>''This is a talent league. I can sit up and never sleep, and it's not
going to make a whole lot of difference. As I research every team, go over
them with a microscope, it all boils down to them getting veterans.

''You gotta give up an asset. Obviously, I don't ever see the day of giving
up an asset like Paul Pierce. But we've got to give up some assets to get an
asset. We don't have a whole lot of assets. It may be an asset like a draft
pick. But we have to get someone like an Antonio Davis or a [ Theo] Ratliff
who physically can come in there and help us out in the defensive end.''<<
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/061/sports/Coach_s_wish_list_One_tough_vet
eran+.shtml

And for a slightly different take:

>>The dilemma Pitino mentioned earlier involves the fact he may have to
spend heavily to get a quality veteran.

``Or,'' he said, ``you've got to give up an asset. Obviously, I don't ever
see the day giving up an asset like Paul Pierce, because we've got to keep
on developing him. But we've got to give up some assets to get an asset,
whether that be a draft pick or I don't know what. But I think that we have
to do that.

``We've got to get somebody like an Antonio Davis, somebody like a Ratliff -
I don't mean those players, I mean somebody like that - to physically come
in and help us out at the defensive end.''<<
http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/sport/cs03012000.htm

"But I think that we HAVE to do that"? "Somebody like an Antonio Davis,
somebody like a Ratliff - I don't mean those players, I mean somebody like
that." WHO is he talking about? Any ideas or is this just more "magical
thinking"? Twon sounds almost statesman-like in comparison:

>>Antoine Walker noted Philadelphia's key move for Kukoc, but said: ``I
don't think we're one player away from where we have to get. I think we have
a good nucleus, but we don't have the dominating shot blocker. If you look
at our other positions, we can hold court with anybody in the league. [?!?]
But it's difficult to get a dominating center. You have to give up a lot to
get one and I don't know if we have the personnel to get a good center, so
it's hard to say. You have to try to get it done with what you've got
now."<<
http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/sport/cs03012000.htm

Well sorry Vitaly, Twon says your the problem and you've got to go. . .

BTW Pitino's comments represent quite the vote of confidence for Walker,
Vitaly, and Battie (we already know the coach has no confidence in Fortson).
One question - where would this veteran play? Judging by Twon's comments I
guess it would be center by default, especially since Pitino has already
spent half the season explaining why Walker can only play PF (even though he
leads the team in 3-pt attempts - a key reason why we are third to last in
the league in 3-pt %, only Philly and Sacto are worse). We already don't
have enough time for the big men that we do have. Sounds like Pitino is
softening us up for when he sells out our future for his short-term present.

On a positive note, I must give Pitino credit for doing something that most
of us have been waiting for him to do during his three years as head honcho,
shoulder just a little of the blame for the team's play:

>>Kenny Anderson was allowed to sit out yesterday's practice after playing
46 minutes in Monday's ugly 108-100 loss to Dallas during which the Celts
blew a 20-point, third-quarter lead.

``I did not do a good job (Monday),'' Pitino said. ``I played Kenny Anderson
way too many minutes. I should have gone longer with Doug Overton. The
problem I have is when Paul Pierce leaves the lineup we have a very
difficult time scoring without Kenny on the floor. But I should have
gambled. With Paul in the lineup, we're a tough offensive basketball team.
The moment he leaves, we really struggle scoring points.'' . . .<<
http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/sport/cnotes03012000.htm

Of course, the discerning reader will note that, while taking responsibility
for playing Kenny too many minutes, Pitino also leaves the listener with the
impression that Pierce "leaving the lineup" is an act of God - something
that Pitino as coach has no control over whatsoever. . . Oh well, two steps
forward, one step back (or is it vice versa ;)

I recall seeing Anderson icing his legs during the 2nd quarter (during his
only 2 minutes out of the game I guess). He was 0-5 in the second half and
it certainly seemed as if his never-fully-healed injuries (sprained knee,
pulled hamstring) were hampering him. I know that NBA players play through
injuries all the time but I can't help wondering if perhaps our players are
pressured a bit much to come back too quickly - in particular Anderson,
Pierce and Griffin this season. It's one thing to come back quickly for one
game a week in college, another to suck it up for 3-4 games a week for
months on an end in the NBA.

-TomM