Very Positive BosHerald Article on Moiso

Something Bruin for C's: Tab UCLA's Moiso at 11
by Mark Cofman
Thursday, June 29, 2000

The Celtics have had their eyes on Jerome Moiso for a long time. Last
night, they made the UCLA power forward the newest member of their team,
selecting him with the 11th overall pick in the NBA draft.

Moiso, 22, is a native of Paris, France, who prepped at Milford (Conn.)
Academy and is considered by NBA insiders to be one of the best
all-around athletes in the draft. But like most of his fellow
underclassmen who dominated the early stages of the first round, the
6-foot-11, 232-pound sophomore was selected with an eye toward the
future.

``I'm not certain how much of an impact he can make this season, but I
do know he can already do things athletically that nobody on our team
can do,'' Celtics coach Rick Pitino told a media gathering at
HealthPoint in Waltham.

``He's a very gifted all-around athlete, and getting more athletic was a
major priority for us. Last year we probably did less pressing than I've
done since I was in diapers - at BU.''

Added general manager Chris Wallace: ``I saw him play at the Nike Hoop
Summit in Orlando, Fla., before I even worked with the Celtics, when I
was with the Miami Heat. He was the best international player for the
foreign team that year.

``We continued to monitor his progress at Milford Academy and then at
UCLA. He brings athleticism, length in terms of wingspan, and
shot-blocking. He's one of the most skilled athletes in this draft. And
that's not just among the big men.''

The Celtics project the left-handed Moiso as a power forward. In
addition to athleticism, Moiso would appear to fill a desperate Celtic
need for shot-blocking, while adding size to their frontcourt. He was
measured at 6-11 in his stocking feet at the Chicago pre-draft camp.

``In (private) workouts, Jerome was playing against a very tough guy,''
said Pitino, who auditioned Moiso twice. ``He would turn, wheel around
someone, get to the rim and just dunk it. He was a lot more aggressive
than we had heard.

``He has great hands and he blocks shots. All the guys we brought in
could not do what he can do on the glass. He's what we felt we needed
most.''

Moiso was raised in Guadeloupe in the West Indies, and after 10 years
returned to France. He averaged 13 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks
per game last season for UCLA, one of college basketball's most storied
programs. Now he joins an organization with the richest NBA tradition.

``Jerome is used to playing under (championship) banners,'' said UCLA
coach Steve Lavin, calling Moiso the most skilled player he's ever had
at the school. ``He's a presence at both ends of the floor and in terms
of athletic skills and potential, I thought he was up there with anyone
in this draft.''

Said Moiso via a conference call: ``I'm very excited to be coming to
Boston. I need to get bigger and stronger (to succeed at the NBA level),
and I know I have much to learn in getting acclimated to (the Celtics')
system. But I'm very happy how things have turned out.''

Moiso, who will be introduced at a media conference today, was not
surprised by his NBA destination. He sensed the Celtics were extremely
interested when he was asked to return for a second audition last
weekend.

``Chris (Wallace) mentioned that he would blow us away with his
talent,'' said Pitino, referring to Moiso's visits. ``That's pretty much
what happened. We would have taken him even if (highly regarded
Minnesota center and ninth overall pick Joel) Przybilla had been
available when our turn came.''

Wallace compared Moiso to Denver Nuggets forward Keon Clark, but with
more skills. Clark is a player the Celtics would have drafted two years
ago with the 10th overall pick had Paul Pierce not been available.