C's May Trade Pick

The Year of Hell is about to begin...

C's test the trade winds: On eve of draft, Pitino and Co. shop 11th pick
by Mark Cofman
Boston Herald - Tuesday, June 27, 2000

Though the Celtics' enthusiasm for their lottery position has increased
in recent weeks, general manager Chris Wallace has not ruled out the
possibility of trading the pick before tomorrow night's NBA draft in
Minneapolis.

``We are exploring what is available out there for this pick, no
question about that,'' Wallace said of his team's 11th overall selection
during a teleconference yesterday. ``Right now, at 48 hours before the
draft, this is still an early juncture for trades.

``Normally, deals don't happen until the afternoon of the draft, or even
that night. So it could still happen.''

Wallace experienced that first-hand three years ago, during the
inaugural season of Rick Pitino's regime. Wallace and Pitino pursued a
draft-day deal that would have sent the Celtics' two lottery picks (Nos.
3 and 6) to the Chicago Bulls as part of a package to acquire Scottie
Pippen.

That pursuit continued in earnest right up until draft time. Ultimately,
the Bulls decided to reshape their roster without the Celtics' help,
while Wallace and Pitino were left to exercise their draft picks. They
chose Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer, respectively.

``We'll continue to canvass all teams and look at all the (trade)
possibilities,'' said Wallace, who's aware the Celtics' pick has become
more valuable with the perception around the league that the draft is
not as weak as previously forecast. ``But while we're exploring, we'll
proceed as if we're using the pick. You have to go with that
assumption.''

Assuming the Celtics keep the pick, they're almost certain to go for the
best player available regardless of his position. Wallace, Pitino and
head scout Leo Papile share the same philosophy in that respect. They
believe bypassing a more talented player to fill a positional need is an
unwise draft practice, often with long-term ramifications. NBA history
would suggest the same.

``In a perfect world, you draft in terms of quality of the player,''
said Wallace, involved in his fourth draft with the Celtics. ``You're
going to make a calculated gamble that the guy you select is going to go
on to have the best NBA career of the players available when you make
your selection.

``That (notion) will obviously be something that will be way up on our
list of criteria. But if it's relatively close (between the talent and
potential of two players), then sometimes you can opt to draft for
position.''

The Celtics' needs have been well documented. They start with a
frontcourt defensive stopper who can block shots, and also include a
backup point guard with size and another scoring threat at either small
forward or off-guard. With their lack of salary cap flexibility and a
decision pending on whether to re-sign free agent forward Danny Fortson,
the Celtics likely will have to address their needs through the middle
class and $1 million salary cap exceptions later this summer.

Tomorrow night's draft pick also could provide a helping hand. That is,
if the Celtics actually make the selection. If there's one thing the
Celtics have proved since Wallace and Pitino came to town, it's that the
team is willing to wheel and deal. Often.

``I think a lot of teams are out there milling around right now,'' said
Wallace, back on the subject of trade possibilities. ``Teams in all
phases of this first round are looking at different scenarios that, come
(tomorrow) night, could put them in a much better position or in a
different spot than what they're in right now.

``Everyone is sort of at the bazaar right now, looking around and
exploring the merchandise.''