Jerry West leaving the Lakers???

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- After winning the NBA championship for the first time in
12 years, Los Angeles Lakers executive vice president Jerry West again is
considering resigning.

The 62-year-old West also had suggested in past seasons he might leave the
Lakers. He has run the club's operations for 18 years, the longest tenure in
the NBA.

West starred for the Lakers for 14 seasons before retiring in 1974. He later
coached the team for three years before taking charge of it.

West acknowledged he is worn down by the pressure to succeed and by
complaints. He said his mail is full of criticisms.

``At this time of year, we're all worn, we're all fragile,'' he said the day
after the Lakers' victory over the Indiana Pacers. ``I'm going to take a
breath of fresh air and see what's best for me.''

West has a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2002-2003
season that reportedly is worth $3.5 million annually.

``I'm supposed to be here until September,'' he said. ``Because I have a
contract doesn't make any difference. I don't have to hold them to that, and
they don't have to hold me to it, either.''

Jaims