2001 Draft

I'm 99% sure that the Celtics' deal with the Nuggets is as follows:

The C's get the BEST -- i.e., first in draft order -- of Denver's 3 2001
picks (Denver's own, Cleveland's and (unlikely) Phoenix's), as long as
that best pick isn't in the top 5.  If, say, the Denver pick is top 5 and
the Cleveland pick is #7, I believe the C's have the option to take the
Cleveland pick or wait 'til 2002.

I think W is right that if the C's don't take the pick in 2001, the pick
will be "top 3" protected in 2002, or else "#1" protected in 2003, or else
unprotected in 2004 -- the C's can keep rolling it over until then.
Considering how many good big men appear to be in next year's draft, I
can't believe they'd want to wait.

According to the ESPN story, Utah gets the WORST of the 3 Denver picks for
that year, so the Utah trade doesn't have any influence on the C's
(unless, perhaps, TWO of the three picks end up in the top 5, and even in
that case the C's ought to have the option of taking the third pick since
their deal was done before Utah's).

Anybody believe differently?

Michael Gooen

P.S.  Am I the only one on the list who likes Mo Peterson?  The C's have
had a lot of success in the past taking solid, all-around players from
winning programs (John Havlicek, Don Chaney).  The only problem I see is
that he does a lot of the things that Griffin does, but I think he's a
much surer bet -- talentwise and chemistrywise -- than most of the less
experienced players.