May: C's Checking Out Stevenson, Bagaric

You don't have guys in for a second time, unless you're interested in
drafting them. Bagaric is an intriguing prospect. A 7-1 Croatian
shotblocker with long distance shooting range. Problem areas with
him: Probably weight (220 or so) and contract.

Second pick to Knicks

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 6/22/2000

The final payment has come down on the 1997 Chris Mills trade to the
Knicks. New York has exercised its right to take the Celtics'
second-round pick in Wednesday's draft, 39th overall, Boston general
manager Chris Wallace confirmed yesterday.

New York, which turned down Boston's second-rounder last year (Vancouver
took it instead), made the decision last week. That means that, barring
any deals, the Celtics will have only one pick, the 11th overall.

''The one thing now is that we have all our picks down the road,''
Wallace said. The Celtics also have a future No. 1 from Denver.

The Celtics have worked out about 12 players and plan to have some back
for what Wallace called, ''a second audition.'' One of those reportedly
is high-schooler DeShawn Stevenson, whose stock has increased to where
he now could be a lottery pick.

Wallace answered questions yesterday on NBA.com about the draft and said
the Celtics would be looking for a player at No. 11 who ''we think can
be the best NBA player.'' Gee, that's really going out on a limb.
Pressed to elaborate, Wallace said he meant that the player might not
necessarily be the best now, but had greater potential.

Wallace also is making plans to attend a workout this weekend in Chicago
for 7-foot-1-inch Croatian center Dalibor Bagaric.

PETER MAY