>>>>>http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/nbants06212000.htm
Pacers' Jackson points to Celts
NBA Finals Notebook/by Steve Bulpett

Wednesday, June 21, 2000

LOS ANGELES - Mark Jackson isn't making any plans for next season. He is very much open to suggestion.

But through the disappointment of losing the NBA title to the Lakers on Monday, the Pacers point guard did speak about the Celtics' situation. Jackson is a free agent and has made clear his affection for Rick Pitino.

``He's a great, great coach. He's the best I've ever played for,'' said Jackson, who played for Pitino for two seasons (1987-88 and '88-89) with the New York Knicks. ``It certainly is intriguing, no question about it.

``(Pitino) was just the best coach,'' added Jackson, not avoiding the comparisons to Larry Bird, his coach the last three seasons with Indiana. ``I really loved playing for (Pitino). He gave me an opportunity. And I love his style. It's definitely intriguing.''

In that the Celtics are in the market for a point guard, Jackson is at least someone to consider.

Jackson has a lot to consider, as well.

``Well I don't know,'' he said. ``I thank God that he's put me in a position to be seen and that I can still get the job done. And now I'm just a free agent. Things will work out.''

As for whether he'd rather stay with the Pacers and take another run at a crown with this crew, Jackson replied: ``I can't really say. I'm a free agent. I'm not getting into first and second choices. Everything's wide open right now.''

Bird lauded the efforts of Jackson and Reggie Miller, both free agents who would have rather had their situations dealt with prior to the season.

``They're professionals,'' Bird said. ``They talk a lot, but when they get on the floor they usually play hard. I talked to Reggie and Mark before the year. I know they were upset. Reggie promised me he would play hard for me and he has. And I know that the success they had during the year is probably going to dictate whether or not they re-sign with Indiana. They've done everything they're capable of doing and they'll probably be rewarded for it.''<<<<<<<<<<<<<<