'00 Draft

I think that '01 is our draft.  If we can get O'Neil for Battie and #11 this
year great.  I might think that drafting Tsak, if he is the player they say
he is, would be a good pick even if he doesn't play until '01.

We then have two #1's and I would think a second rounder in '01 plus a 7'2"
285lb center.

I want to see Walker grow for another year as well as PP, Pot, AG, EW, DF
(If they can sign him)

We need to prove to the other players in the league that it is worthwhile to
play in Boston.  A maturing of our current players would go a long way in
that regard as well as having two big centers (Tsak + Pot) and two young
"stars" (AW + PP) as well as a solid year from DF.

It's all about AW, PP + Pot this year.  We need significant progress from
them this year or you need to consider moving whoever doesn't improve.

With the report that Dallas might want our pick this year maybe we can get
theirs for next year and dump some longer term contracts (EW?) and take back
an expiring '01 contract.  Three #1's next year and cap relief would work
for me.

I can live with a learning year if those guys make the next step.

There is going to be a bunch of veterans looking for "best opportunity" in a
couple years because the big money will only go to the two best players on
the team with the luxury cap.  Everyone else will be scrambling.

If the cap is say $40 million in a couple years, that averages out to
$3,636,363.64 per player on an 11 man team.

EW makes $4,333,333.33 per year himself (Avg.).  Pot makes $5,500,000.00 and
Battie makes around $5,000,000.00 a year I think.
AW makes $11,816,666.67 all by himself.  That will be more the 25% of the
avail. cap all by himself. (All avg. salaries)

That's only $2,142,857, each, available for the other 7 players.  That means
many veteransin the league will only be offered short money (relatively)
unless they are stars or have a special skill, by their 3rd contract.

Healthpoint, Fleet Center, the Gold Club and knowledgeable fans will all be
beneficial in drawing veterans for those dollars.  The key is going to be
the teams two stars and the rookies on those short money 5 year contracts.

If Jerry West is stating publicly that the Fakers will stay within the cap,
Gaston isn't going to go very far over it.

Will AW + PP earn the right to be the two big money stars this year?  If AW
doesn't, the Celtic's are screwed if the team can't clear cap space.

Clearing cap space is more important then a draft pick this year.

Just my opinion, <Jim