Ernest Brown Bio

This guy is a real talent:

Ernest Brown info:

Played at Indian Hills Community College in the Midwestern
Metropolis of Centerville, Iowa where he was listed as
being 7-0, 245 pounds.  Indian Hills has produced two NBA
players in the past: Johnny Taylor and CJ Bruton.

Led all colleges in rebounding during his freshman year at
Mesa Community College, but dropped off dramatically to 6.9 boards,
after he transferred to IHCC for his sophomore season.

Hometown is the Bronx, New York, and has three
children.

Fine shotblocker at 3.5 per game.

Was heavily recruited by Iowa State, but they lost interest in him
quickly, when the NCAAs started to investigate his transcripts.

This is what Jim Ecker of the Cedar Rapids (IA) Gazette had to say
about him on 12/17/99:

CEDAR RAPIDS -- Ernest Brown is nearly 7 feet tall, runs like a deer,
has great hands and could be an NBA lottery pick.

And he's just 19 years old.

Brown plays for Indian Hills Community College of Ottumwa, which has won
the last three national junior college titles and is ranked No. 1 again.

The Warriors (11-1) face Kirkwood (10-3) at Johnson Hall Friday night.
Brown, who has signed with Iowa State, is probably worth the $3 price of
admission all by himself. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30.

Brown led the nation in rebounding (15.3) and field-goal percentage
(78.4) at Mesa Community College last year, averaged 22.7 points and
made first-team All-American as a freshman.

"He's one of the very, very top junior college players that I've ever
seen in the last 10 years. No question about that," said Terry Carroll,
the associate head coach at Iowa State.

Carroll coached Indian Hills to national titles in 1997 and '98 before
joining the Cyclones last year. He knows talent.

"He's a tremendous athlete who can run the floor like a guard, but he's
6-11 or 7 feet," Carroll said. "He has tremendous foot quickness, great
hands and he can score up to 15 feet."

Iowa State Coach Larry Eustachy thinks Brown could be an early
second-round pick in the 2000 NBA draft without playing for the
Cyclones. Others think he could sneak into the first round.

"Anytime you're 6-11 and 240 and can run the floor like a deer, I would
say you've got a decision to make," Carroll remarked.

Naturally, Carroll hopes Brown honors his commitment and enrolls at Iowa
State. He thinks Brown needs time to mature and get stronger before
embarking on a pro career.

"I think it would be good if he went through and played a Division I
season and saw what it was like to play against guys as big as he is, as
strong as he is, as fast as he is and then see where he stands after
that," Carroll said. "I think it would be much better for him
personally."

Some people think Brown, from New York City, could be an NBA lottery
pick (top 13) if he continues to develop.

"There's a lot of water that has to go down the river before we see
that," Carroll said. "I don't know.

"It's all going to boil down to what happens and how good a year he has.
They've got a great chance to win the national championship and the
whole deal. We'll see. Time will tell."

Brown is averaging 13.1 points and 7 rebounds for Indian Hills, about
half his production at Mesa, but there's a reason for his lower numbers
this year. Indian Hills is loaded with talent.

Cory Hightower, the MVP of the 1999 national tournament, has signed with
TCU. Travis Robbins, 6-7, and Gary Black, 6-4, have committed to San
Jose State, giving the Warriors four Division I players in their
starting lineup. Hightower, a 6-8 guard, leads Indian Hills at 22.5
points per game. (snip)