CM Newton To Work With Wallace & Papile

That's what Pitino says. We'll see who's right Pitino or WEEI...

Celtics bring Newton into front office
Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, June 8, 2000

LOS ANGELES - The Celtics made a prestigious addition to their staff
yesterday, hiring former college coach and Kentucky athletic director
C.M. Newton as a consultant.

Newton, who was C's coach and president Rick Pitino's boss at Kentucky,
will, according to the Celts, be an ``adviser to the basketball
operations staff.'' His main duties as he moves to Boston and adds to
his impressive resume will be to assist with the upcoming draft of
collegiate talent.

The Celtics said that Newton, who will be inducted into the Basketball
Hall of Fame this October, will assist in all personnel decisions.

``He's going to be working mostly with (general manager Chris Wallace
and head scout Leo Papile) in terms of personnel and the draft,'' said
Pitino. ``He's just retired and still feels he's got a lot to give to
the basketball community. I talked to him at the dinner they had for him
at Kentucky (upon his retirement from the AD post) and he thought he
could give us a lot.

``He's got a keen eye for talent and he's very well-respected in the
game. I thought he'd be great for us. Having another mind is only going
to add to the team.''