Re: chancy draft

Geez, I'm going to set a record for posts in a day...

Anyway, as a die-hard Ohio State fan, let me say that Michael Redd is no
Michael Dickerson. I love Redd. He's a Columbus kid who stayed home at OSU
when the program was at its lowest point. He never complained when Scoonie
Penn (another favorite of mine) transferred in and became everyone's media
darling (and rightfully so).

Now, having said that, Redd just isn't an NBA player. He's a great, great
college player, but he just isn't going to be more than a bit player in the
NBA. He's 6-5, so he has to play shooting guard, not small forward. His
outside shot is weak, even though he's known for years that it was the one
part of his game that could turn him into an NBA threat. He's not athletic
at all. He has average quickness and isn't a good leaper. He's not strong
enough to be a post-up threat, and he made his living on post-ups and
slashes to the basket in college.

I really loved the guy at OSU, but he made a mistake coming out. The college
and NBA games are so different, and he's one player who never realized that.
He convinced himself that he'd show well in workouts (he hasn't) and move up
in the draft because he was "better" than the other 2-guards in the draft.
He just didn't understand that being a better college player doesn't mean
you'll be a better pro. It's still basketball, but it's not the same game.
And Redd is learning that painful lesson right now.

A couple of your other comparisons:

Quentin Richardson-now there's a guy I'd compare to Dickerson. Like
Dickerson, Q is a college forward who will have to switch to guard. Both
have underrated perimeter shots and good athleticism.

Eddie House-Don't see Bonzi Wells here. House is about 6-0 and a shoot-first
point guard. I'd think Lindsey Hunter.

Miles-who knows? I know he's built like Garnett, but Garnett is 7-feet tall.
Miles is 6-9. There's a big difference. Garnett is a matchup nightmare, but
Miles won't be. I think he'll be a good pro, but he's no Garnett. If he's
lucky, he'll develop into a McGrady-type player.

Mark