Hawks also interested in Johnson

Hawks evaluating talents raw and polished for draft
Michael Lee - Staff
Sunday, June 4, 2000

Cincinnati freshman DerMarr Johnson grinned slyly after Hawks scout Chris
Grant bet him $10 that he couldn't touch the top of a 12 1/2 foot bar.

Johnson, a 6-foot-9 shooting guard with a 40-inch vertical leap, took a
running start and slapped the bar on his fourth attempt. Then he looked over
at a smiling Grant. Easy money.

"You want that in 10 ones?" Grant asked, and the two started laughing.

But after completing a grueling two-hour workout with the Hawks on Saturday
at the Philips Arena practice court, Johnson didn't get paid.

"I'm not too worried about it," Johnson said.

He's focused on a bigger payday --- June 28 --- when the NBA Draft will be
held in Minneapolis. The Hawks hold the sixth pick, and general manager Pete
Babcock and new coach Lon Kruger began the process of evaluating draft
candidates in person this weekend.

On Friday, they looked at Michigan State 6-6 senior Morris Peterson, the
smooth-shooting left-hander who helped lead the Spartans to an NCAA
championship in April. Johnson shot around for the Hawks later in the
afternoon, then worked out with East St. Louis high-schooler Darius Miles the
next day.

Missouri silky sophomore point guard Keyon Dooling was expected to join
Peterson on Friday but backed out because of a conflicting appointment with
Detroit. Still, Babcock and Kruger were impressed by the players they did
see.

"All three are very athletic," Babcock said. "There is a big difference as
far as development because Mo Peterson played for four years. He has a
decided edge in terms of maturity. But. . . . Darius and D.J. are phenomenal
athletes. There is a lot of potential because each is so young."

Johnson is a native of Washington who just turned 20 last month. In high
school, he considered going pro after his junior year --- "I wanted to be the
first one," he said. --- but he eventually wound up at a prep school in
Maine. There was little doubt he'd leave Cincinnati early --- especially
after getting a tattoo on his left arm that reads "NBA, King of the Court"
back in October. The Hawks were the first team he worked out with since
declaring for the draft. His height, athleticism and shooting ability make
him very appealing.

Miles, 18, is a 6-8 forward who signed with St. John's but opted to go pro
after hearing that he could possibly be a top-seven pick. The Hawks were the
third team Miles has visited in as many days. He also worked out for the
Magic and the Rockets, when he started developing some tendinitis in his
right knee. It limited his explosiveness some during the exhausting
"superman" drill, where Miles had to do drop-step dunks for one minute.

He'll need some seasoning, but his play in transition, flashy ball-handling
and ability to block shots --- he has an 87-inch wingspan --- have drawn
comparisons to Kevin Garnett. And Kruger is well aware of what Miles can do.
He once recruited him for Illinois.

"Yeah, he attended our camp as a ninth-grader," Kruger said. "Now, I'm
looking at him from a different light, for sure."

Kruger also is familiar with Peterson, a former Big Ten foe whom Kruger
wouldn't mind having on his side for once. Peterson has worked out with six
other teams since graduating last month and said the whole experience has
been tiring and awe-inspiring --- from eating lunch with Julius Erving in
Orlando to the little things, like wearing NBA socks.

"You see the logo," Peterson, 22, said. "Only guys in the NBA get to wear
these. That's a good indication that I'm getting there. . . I've dreamed of
being in the league since I was 5. But it seems like the closer it gets, the
longer it seems."

The next step for the Hawks is the NBA pre-draft camp this week in Chicago.
Afterward, they expect to bring in about seven more players before making a
final decision.

"After visiting with them, watching them, you see who fits in best with the
organization," Kruger said. "Then on the 28th, the process takes care of
itself."