Re: What is wrong with this picture?

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> Croshere won't sign for the exception; Celtics cost = Walker
>
> Wahad won't sign for the exception; Celtics cost = no.1 pick minimum
>
> Fortson won't sign for the exception; Celtics gain = Vinny Del Negro
>
> What is wrong with this picture?...
>
> DJessen33

Perfectly stated.

Of course these are just rumors, but this Summer we actually have heard
affirmations and hints coming from Pitino.  I think he is under a lot of
front office pressure to do something drastic this Summer--or at least
plant enough stories in the local papers to show he's trying-- in order
to get fans excited or at least less indifferent about next season (The
"Moi-so-what? Roadshow").

This pressure might even include hints from the GM to try to trade
Walker and start anew. Walker will always be the lightning rod if he
stays in Boston. Croshere only has to play reasonably well to be a fan
favorite, or at least immune from fan criticism for the team's poor
performances. Say 15ppg, a lower but not significantly lower FG% and 7
rebounds would easily do the trick. Seems like a nice guy who hustles.

To his eternal credit I don't think Pitino believes for even a second
that Croshere projects as a Walker-type all-around producer even if
Croshere reaches his full potential or even extends beyond it (through
"110% effort" and all that). Apart from scoring and rebounding
(something a lot of people can accomplish on a lousy team), that would
require Croshere to have seasons where he leads the team in steals or
total assists, something Antoine has done but Croshere is unlikely to
ever do based on his stats (career 0.8 assists, 1.2 turnovers and 0.45
steals in 17.7 minutes). Croshere is the definition of a limited
player/designated shooter. Except him for what he is. I also doubt
Pitino truly believes Croshere will be an asset to improve the team's
woeful defense and press.

When Pitino promised at the end of draft day to make the Celtics more
athletic next year, he may have only been making the appropriate
spin-of-the-day comments to suit the situation (e.g. how to explain why
fans should be thrilled to have drafted a 11ppg, 1.7 bpg
underachiever).  Next thing you know we're hearing names like Mark
Jackson, Chris Mullin, Austin Croshere, Ron Mercer, Christian Laettner.

-------