Abdul-Wahad tops Celtics' menu:
Deal may be close as Pitino courts guard
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, July 25, 2000

Rick Pitino was planning a late dinner in San Jose with free agent Tariq
Abdul-Wahad last night amid reports a three-way trade involving the
Celtics, Denver Nuggets and the Los Angeles Clippers is close to
completion.

Sources last night said there were still details to be worked out and
salary cap maneuvers to be made, but the bottom line in the
sign-and-trade scenario would have Abdul-Wahad and Fall River's Chris
Herren coming to Boston and Derek Anderson going from the Clippers to
the Nuggets. Exactly what the Celts would have to give was said to be
still evolving (based mainly on salary numbers that would fit), but
Herren has told friends a deal may be imminent. No trades or signings
can be official until Aug. 1. The deal would be complicated by base-year
contract rules that would kick in. Also, Pitino would have to speak with
Celtics owner Paul Gaston before adding the $4.5 million-per-year
average that Abdul-Wahad is said to be seeking.

As he headed to the meeting with Abdul-Wahad, a 2-guard who specializes
in defense, Pitino was noncommittal.

``There's no more or less here than with any other situation right
now,'' he said. ``In the end, we could do nothing at all. It's possible
something might happen for us, but it could just as easily not.''

Sources close to Abdul-Wahad said it is highly unlikely he will remain
with the Nuggets. In reference to possible deals, his agent, Paco
Belassen, said yesterday, ``I have not heard anything about it. The last
time I talked (to the Nuggets), they said they've been listening to
other teams and are prepared to sign Tariq. He's going to make several
visits. We have one week until we can sign. Tariq is going to know his
options and is going to look around before making the biggest decision
of his life. Rick Pitino is going to visit with him, he's going to visit
with the Denver Nuggets, and we're going to go from there.''

``Going'' is something at which Abdul-Wahad is practiced. If he indeed
moves on, it will be to his fourth club in four years.

Mercer out of picture

The door was kept open when Pitino met with free agent Ron Mercer, but a
return trip to Boston doesn't appear in the cards as of now.

``I spoke to Ron more as a friend,'' said Pitino, who coached Mercer at
Kentucky before guiding him for two years with the Celtics. ``I told him
we'd like to have him back with us, but I think he needs to look out
there and see what's available to him.

``I told him he should be thinking about the two H's. He needs to get
himself a home, and he needs to go after some happiness.''

Workman-like effort

Barring any deals, the Celtics' best option at backup point guard may
well be Haywoode Workman. The 34-year-old did well for the Boston summer
league squad, despite a strained left hamstring and a lack of people to
convert his passes.

``I think I have a pretty good chance,'' Workman said yesterday. ``It's
just up to them now. I showed them what I could do with the guys we had
here. Once you get their entire team, it would probably be a different
situation. I think this is the best situation for me right now. I don't
know what other teams are going to do, but this looks good.''

The Celtics closed out their Shaw's summer league run at 3-5 with a
95-87 loss to Washington yesterday. Silas Mills led the Celts with 18
points, while Mark Blount had 17 points and eight rebounds.

Blount also collected a cut under his chin.

``I don't know how it happened,'' he said. ``It just started bleeding.''

McCarty's a quick study

Walter McCarty stopped by to see the Celts play yesterday. The four-year
veteran has had a busy summer between basketball work and trips to New
York to lay down tracks for his music project.

Knowing where his bread is primarily buttered, however, McCarty will be
heading off to Los Angeles soon for an intensive week of work with Kiki
Vandeweghe. The latter has developed quite a reputation tutoring
players.