Re: Pierce at Fila summer pro league

Here is an update on Pierce that totally contradicts the first post about him.

<<

From: <A HREF="mailto: pal stc@aol.com">Pal stc @ aol.com</A>

>His game was way rusty.

I saw him play Thursday night in Carson, CA (at Veterans Park-Nike Real Run).
  He looked great!   He was playing on a team with players of non-NBA
experience vs. a team featuring Tracy Murray, Duane Cooper (USC, Lakers,
CBA), and Corey Gaines (UCLA, LMU, NBA, CBA, ect).   I also spoke to him
before the game and he said that he has been traveling a lot of late (back
and forth to the east coast).   He said that he had just got back from New
York,
hence maybe the reason for the rust in his game.

  >Although he did have a few nice assists on fast breaks.

At the game I watched, PP let his teammates get in the flow of the game
first.   He would only get involved after rebounding by pushing the ball up
the floor.   He looked very comfortable pushing the ball (showing a nice-low
handle), and finishing with some excellent passes for lay-ups and dunks.
His jumper was on tonight from all over the gym (including the front door
:-).   Tracy Murray was guarding him and he did whatever he wanted to do
(inside
and out).   He asked me at halftime, what should he work on in the 2nd half
of the game.   I suggested more ball handling.

>He looked very winded down the stretch and too me he
>looked like he's been hitting King Taco a little too much.

At Carson, he was not really pushing himself very much but he played the
whole game.   King Tacos?   Are you talking about Paul Pierce or Big John
Williams?   Paul looked in great shape.   Leaner than last year and more cut.
  His game looks as good as it ever has been.   It's scary to say but he is
getting soooo much better.   Maybe you saw him on a bad night.

>Defensively he displayed his old bad habits. He cheated off of his man only
>to have him get the rebound for and easy put back more than a few times.

You've got to realize, Paul will probably never be a great one-on-one
defender.   However, he is excellent at what you posted (cheating off his
man, playing the passing lanes, and anticipation).   Plus he plays good
helpside D (how many charges did he take last year).

 >Hopefully I can get down to the pyramid
>again and see him play again before the end of the games.

Don't waste your time.   He said that he is not going to play in Long Beach
anymore this summer.   He left today to go to the Bahamas for a week for the
NBA league meetings (He's the Celtics player rep, sounds like a Captain to me
:-).   He is scheduled to play in Magic Johnson's All-Star game but he
probably won't play.   He will more than likely continue to play at Carson
when he returns home.

Never fear Celtics fans......Superman will be back next year wearing #34 :-)!

Thndrblt31