More offseason ramblings

Hm, we're getting some good discussion on the list today.

Mark Blount: It really is weird how many contradictory reports
on his weight there are. I think there's maybe an overemphasis on
the weight required to play inside, rather than the strength and
athletic ability. Clearly having an extra 30 pounds of flab doesn't
help. In particular the Eastern Conference doesn't pose too many
Shaq sized matchups at center, and Blount is at best a backup anyway,
or even third string. It's probably too early to pencil him in front
of Battie. Gotta be better than Pervis was though.

Paul Pierce the "3": Personally I thought he had a pretty decent
season playing mostly 2. I know I said this before but everyone
was saying how Kobe was a 3 after he had some double figure
rebounding games, and how he would have trouble at 2 defending
those quick guards. How dumb is that, in hindsight? Pierce showed
that he could create some major mismatches against 2 guards. If he
can pick it up on defense and work on his athleticism, he'll be
an All-Star shooting guard.

Ron Mercer: I wasn't a fan of his game after his first year, but
for the exception, yes. The chemistry was so bad during the lockout
though. Still, he's a good deal at that price - kind of like Jim
Jackson. You wonder if he'll still be in the "shooting for big money"
mode though.

Moiso: I recall reading a chat where I think he projected himself
as a small forward at first, until he developed the strength to play
PF. If he can play a Shawn Marion role, he won't need at outside
shot at that position.

Alex