The "Duck"

The Duck is Don Chaney, the assistant coach of the
Knicks. He was a rookie in 68-69 (Russell's last year
- title of the Fakers, after being down 2-0. What a
way to break into the NBA!) and played for the C's
'68-75 and '77-80 (Bird's rookie year, thus being the
only guy to bridge the gap of Russell and Bird). Maybe
some older fans here can recall why he missed those 2
seasons in between. Nice guy, who took the time to
sign an autograph for me. I asked him if he'd give us
Allan Houston for Fortson. He laughed and told me I
was on drugs. An all-star for a guy who doesn't even
start. Put me in my place! Also saw Paul Westphal, who
almost singlehandedly hauted the C's in the 76 Finals.
Maybe the elders can help out again with why he was
traded.

PS - Let's put the Reggie/Bias crutches back in the
closet. Even if they were around, they'd be "old and
grey" also. They probably would have been traded for
Joe Klein, anyway.

Peace!