Re: Pierce at Fila summer pro league

    Pierce sounds a bit different from last off-season, when he won much praise
as the "Anti-Toine". I hope Pierce gets serious about defense and conditioning
well before training camp starts. I doubt a Vince Carter would even show up at
any Summer game out of shape. Guys like that have too much pride in their
reputations.

    I don't want to make a big deal out of it though, since it is still
mid-July.  Hopefully 2000-01 can be Pierce's first All Star season, and
Antoine's second.

    BTW, I'm thrilled to hear Mark Blount is 250 pounds. He sounds like a big
upgrade over Pervis Ellison or Eric Riley.

    Pitino seems to have added two athletic big men to the roster, which isn't
bad considering the draft position. Now Boston can focus on adding a backup
guard with the 2.25 slot, which generally should be easier to do than finding a
big forward or center.

    My one remaining wish is that the Celtics can discover a deadly perimeter
shooter this summer. I doubt Sesar will come in and win a roster spot in
training camp. Everyone else on the Shaw roster sounds more like a slasher than
a shooter. Cheaney wasn't half the midrange shooter we hoped he could be, and
that's also Griffin's biggest weakness. Anyway, thanks Art for that report on
Pierce.

---------