Re: Mark Blount

--- You wrote:

OzerskyJA wrote:

> One interesting thing about Blount's obscurity is how it
> highlights how lazy sportswriters are. The guy not only
> has grown three inches since his NBA measuring at 6 10,
> but if he is 220 pounds than I am Johnny Depp. Blount
> is 250 if he is a pound. Even Walter weighs 235!
> ,

List eye-witnesseses, please kindly clarify!! If this guy Blount truly
has truly slimmed down to the 220 pound, 7-0 weight class in order to
regain his previously thoroughly invisible lateral mobility (as now
hyped by Head Coach Spin-Retardino and also widely lapped up by the
local media), won't Blount and Moi-So-what? eventually slide into the
identical " 'tweener" space that McCarty, Battie and Frog Man alrready
ineptly occupy at a combined multimillion dollars per year, in order to
satisfy Pitino's dillusions? All four of these "a weight room away"
Spintino star recruits are creepily identical in size and build.

--- end of quote ---

Not really. Moiso is quite a bit more muscular than McCarty (although that's not saying much) - I would classify his build as normal, if a bit on the thin side, by NBA big-man standards. Blount's got an NBA body, perhaps similar in build to Dale Davis and is unafraid to use it. Moiso is obviously much more physically gifted than Blount, or anyone else on the Celtics roster right now. This does not include just leaping ability - what people typically have in mind when they call a player "athletic" - but fluidity of movement, agility, coordination, and grace uncommon even in the NBA. He reminds me of Garnett and MJ in that regard. Before you get too excited about him, I'll say that he reminds of Pervis in his inclination to drift. He seems quite happy knowing that he's much more talented than the others and just leaving it at that. When the spirit moves him, he could be great. Alas, I suspect it won't be moving him too often, and I doubt (based on the Battie and Pervis experience) that MasterMotivator will either. He probably needs Phil Jackson (a/k/a the luckiest man alive, according to some list members) as coach to reach his full potential.
Be forewarned, however, that I'm basing all this on one game in summer league competition, so I could be way off - both because of the context, and because it's a single observation. Perhaps Moiso just doesn't feel the need to hustle like the NBA wannabes. Blount, IMO, might be able to help defensively and on the boards as a backup center.
Kestas