Re: Projo article 18/7

> Celtics playing a few longshots
> By KEVIN McNAMARA
> Journal Sports Writer
>
> http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/story.pl/celtics/03980922.htm
> <snip>
> "We lose two free agents, so we have room on our roster," Pitino said, referring to Danny Fortson and Pervis Ellison. "I think some of these guys have a chance. I really do."

So now Pitino plans on "losing" Danny Fortson for nothing? I can't believe Spintino would talk up Jerome Allen and Haywood Workman as adequate replacements.

I'm hoping the writer Kevin McNamara mistakenly used Fortson's name rather than attributed Spintino's own words outside quotation marks. The two free agents Pitino mentions are actually probably Ellison and Overton.

In that context, it fully makes sense that Pitino would talk up Blount as a backup center and JAllen/Workman (hopefully Pepe Sanchez) as backup pointguards. Jerome Allen is actually a rare Ivy league basketball product (U Penn). He played on the 1994 Goodwill Games team with Tim Duncan, Damon Stoudamire and Michael Finley. I remember back in the late 1970s when U Penn made the Final Four. Princeton did it in the mid 1960s, with Bill Bradley scoring a record 56 points in a Final Four game.

-------