Mercer's Plan

The way I look at it, Mercer has two options.

Go to NJ and make about 3.8 mil and be able to start right away.  He would also be on a team that features the #1 draft pick in the NBA.  The only question is if he can co-exist with Marbury and Van Horn.  Both of them really want to score, but it possibly could happen.

The other option is Boston.  This is either through a Sign and trade (I hope it happens because then we still have the 2.25 for someone else to try and solve another hole) or with the 2.5 mil exception.  Here he would be reunited with friends Pitino, McCarty, and of course Walker, who he really wants to play with again.

The only problem for him here is, he may not be starting.  I can't picture him coming off the bench, but I would rather it happen, allowing him to lead the (2nd unit) with pressing and by being their main target for offense (hopefully around 14 or 15 pts a game - that may be too much).

But I really think if we got Mercer back, it would be to start.  He really has too much talent not too, even if he doesn't exactly fit in.  I'm not saying I would rather he did, because that's not true.  But I think if he did agree to come to Boston, it would probably be because Pitino promised him that he would start.

One more thing.  If we do sign him to the exception, let's hope he's not just trying to use the Celtics as a lillypad to rejuvanate his career!

Josh F