BSG On Possible Pitino/Mercer Hijinks

The BSG guy is in rare form today with an excellent
critique and this devious speculation:

-- Story on the Nets' pursuit of Ron Mercer includes this tidbit:
"Boston Coach Rick Pitino, who recruited Mercer at Kentucky and traded
him last season, is still very close to Mercer and said he plans to
visit Mercer on Thursday at his home in Nashville to discuss the
player's future, and not necessarily in Boston. 'Ron has a lot of
loyalty to me and to Boston," Pitino said. 'But right now I'd have to
say Chicago and Miami are the front-runners.'"

BSG continues:
(If the Celts re-signed Mercer for cheap money, it would ALMOST make you
wonder if that was that master plan last year -- when they traded him
for Fortson and a #1. Supposedly Pitino and Mercer are pretty close. An
interesting theory. Maybe they have a back room deal ready for him --
take the exception this year and we'll take care of you next year. Maybe
they had it all along. Hmmmm...)