Re: PF and C

Francis Hsu wrote:

> Joe Hironaka wrote:
>
> >    If instead, Walker is part of a logjam at power forward because he
> >still can't guard small forwards, the Celtics will be a high lottery team
> >and either Moiso or Battie will be 10 minute per game "El Busto" scrubs.
>
> Why does Walker need to play SF?  I like the idea of Adrian Griffin in
> the starting lineup as SF, because he helps defensively, rebounding and
> generally helping out the other players who are offensively minded.
>
> Also, I find the idea of Moiso / Battie playing together against backup
> players to be intriguing.  Sort of like having a mini version of the
> Twin Towers playing against lesser talent.
>
> Someone previously mentioned the possibility of Walker playing more PG.  So
> he could split his time between PF and PG, giving Moiso a little more time
> at PF than if Walker was just a PF.  You could have an alternative backup
> lineup like:
> Walker, Barros/Sesar, Williams, Moiso, Battie
>
> Francis

If Jerome "French Lick" Moiso is actually ready to start immediately alongside
Potapenko, I think Boston could have solid defensive matchups. Against teams
with bruising power forwards but stringbean or non-scoring-threat centers, they
could switch defensive assignments for example. Moiso can also have a freer
rein to play help defense and productively block shots, knowing Potapenko will
always box out with a vengeance and also put 290 pounds of persuasion in the
way of opponents who want to back in and establish lowpost position as they
please.

It depends on whether Antoine Walker can become a playmaking small forward, or
a doughy defensive liability and full-time power forward by default. Francis, I
honestly believe that if Walker starts all year at PF, either Moiso or Battie
will inevitably look very redundant and one or the other will be traded
mid-season with a fairly dismal market value, or become a mostly forgotten
player like Waltah.

If Battie shows up at the Shaw camp hulked up and physically capable of playing
backup center, then it is a different story. For now, I doubt Battie can ever
be an NBA center.

Joe